is there any so called "CIB" for Army aviation pilots?

marentius

Hi,

just wondering if,during the VN war, an Army pilot flew combat missions,was then issued a badge that recognized his combat service like the CIB for the infantry soldier?

Senior Army aviation wings were issued to officers during the VN war?

what is the situation with today Army pilots who flew in Iraq and are flying in Afghanistan?how is their combat service recognized?

coming out of a combat aviation battalion as one of the only infantrymen, yeah they do something. from my experience a lot of the pilots find a way to put themselves in for CABs saying their helicopter took small arms, which we all knew to be BS because no insurgent is going to shoot at an apache that's 6000 feet up. But alas, if the pilot and co-pilot say it happened, then they get put in for it. we grunts, of course, constantly felt the need to show them what a real badge looked like. all in good fun.

again, this is from personal experience and only involving the modern wars.

There was no special badge of recognition for combat aviators during the Vietnam conflict.

Senior and Master Aviator wings would have been awarded during the Vietnam conflict as their dates of inception imply - The aviator and senior aviator badges were approved on 27 July 1950 and the master aviator badge was approved on 12 February 1957.

In general Army Aviation personnel are recognized for combat service with decorations (DFC, Air Medal, etc.), although The Combat Action badge is now being awarded to aviation personnel. It's date of inception for this badge was May 2 of 2005. The badge was introduced to recognize combat service for all branches not qualified for a Combat Infantry badge which, up to that time, was the only badge authorized for combat service by the Army.

Hope that helps you!

The badge was introduced to recognize combat service for all branches not qualified for a Combat Infantry badge which, up to that time, was the only badge authorized for combat service by the Army.

Hope that helps you!

Don't forget the Combat Medical Badge, available since WW2.

coming out of a combat aviation battalion as one of the only infantrymen, yeah they do something. from my experience a lot of the pilots find a way to put themselves in for CABs saying their helicopter took small arms, which we all knew to be BS because no insurgent is going to shoot at an apache that's 6000 feet up. But alas, if the pilot and co-pilot say it happened, then they get put in for it. we grunts, of course, constantly felt the need to show them what a real badge looked like. all in good fun.

again, this is from personal experience and only involving the modern wars.

Tru dat....to a point.

I know an Infantryman who got his CIB in Kuwait. One platoon of his unit was forward.

In at least some aviation units you could not put in for the CAB yourself. It had to be initiated by the company commander after being recommended by someone who witnessed the incident. Not the flight crew themselves.

BTW we all didn't fly Apaches at 6000 feet. Small arms and RPGs can hit low flying or LZ bound aircraft just fine.

Best regards.

Jim

buddy got put in for a CIB in Kuwait!? EW! people do know its not UNIT AWARDED right? that makes me shake my head.

Youre a Kiowa guy?, and those guys are a bit different. the butt hurt is strong with me because I had to work in an apache unit and there were too many issues with the pilots. in our AO, Pale Horse (our kiowas guys form A-Bad) were always on station if they could be and at times only a couple hundred feet above for a gun run. Kiowa guys are a bit of an exception. good point on the separation between you and apaches for sure.

but when I got my blue cord I took a solemn, sacred and holy oath to rib on pilots whenever and where ever possible.

wheres "hawkdriver" when you need him!

160th usually finds a way to get medals :)

but if he was Blackhawk dropping off some SF then he probably did get shot at. Chinooks get shot up a lot too.

Hi,

just wondering if,during the VN war, an Army pilot flew combat missions,was then issued a badge that recognized his combat service like the CIB for the infantry soldier?

what is the situation with today Army pilots who flew in Iraq and are flying in Afghanistan?how is their combat service recognized?

All Army branches were/ are recognized with a SSI-FWTS (Shoulder Sleeve Insignia Former Wartime Service). It is commonly known as the COMBAT PATCH.

It is a unit patch worn on the right shoulder.

Scott

All Army branches were/ are recognized with a SSI-FWTS (Shoulder Sleeve Insignia Former Wartime Service). It is commonly known as the COMBAT PATCH.

It is a unit patch worn on the right shoulder.

Scott

Yeah, but to wear a SSI-FWTS patch, you only have to be assigned to the unit--- No requirement for actual combat exposure at all.

Senior and Master wings are awarded based on flight experience and time in Army Aviation. They are somewhat easier to get these days than they were years ago based on the reduction of flight hours required.

Hi,

Yeah, but to wear a SSI-FWTS patch, you only have to be assigned to the unit--- No requirement for actual combat exposure at all.

Requires service IN the designated Combat Zone.

Scott

depending on what the zone is. I know guys that got "combat" patches for kyrgzstan and Kuwait and stuff, but other that didn't get it for the DMZ. it doesn't make much sense to me really.

depending on what the zone is. I know guys that got "combat" patches for kyrgzstan and Kuwait and stuff, but other that didn't get it for the DMZ. it doesn't make much sense to me really.

Question was asked about VN, Iraq and Afghanistan.

But you are correct... some combat zone assignments merit only combat pay/ tax benefits.

Scott

Question was asked about VN, Iraq and Afghanistan.

But you are correct... some combat zone assignments merit only combat pay/ tax benefits.

Scott

I am talking about recent stuff. Army HR folks in Kuwait and Kyrgyzstan got them while the LI on the Korean border watch don't. I don't understand how Kuwait is "combat" and Korea isn't, they seem the same to me. oh well, ruck up and do what youre told right.

They give them out for being "in theater". Kuwait is considered in theater for Afghanistan. It's a load of crap.

The stories I could tell! :rolleyes:

Salsa Night and having country music stars play concerts for you gets tough, totally patch worthy.

and then there was that one time someone in the chow hall said they thought a mortar maybe hit somewhere, can I have my CAB now.

Ill also be complaining about "combat stress" to establish my VA check when I get out too btw.

ok now im getting dysfunctional and off topic!

They give them out for being "in theater". Kuwait is considered in theater for Afghanistan. It's a load of crap.

The stories I could tell! :rolleyes:

Must be in the designated combat zone area AND be in support of OEF or OIF. As an example, I don't believe the soldiers who are working with the Kuwait military as trainers would receive combat patch.

Scott

Must be in the designated combat zone area AND be in support of OEF or OIF. As an example, I don't believe the soldiers who are working with the Kuwait military as trainers would receive combat patch.

Scott

Hello Scott,

To tell you the truth, I can't make heads or tails of it. I can tell you for sure all the units I know of in Kuwait are getting their "wartime service" or "combat patches". (I'm glad I wasn't tagged for this one!)

I really mean it when I say, "the stories I could tell." :blink:

Regards.

Jim

I got mine in the 80s so that leaves me out of this discussion.

Hello Scott,

To tell you the truth, I can't make heads or tails of it. I can tell you for sure all the units I know of in Kuwait are getting their "wartime service" or "combat patches". (I'm glad I wasn't tagged for this one!)

Regards.

Jim

Hello Scott,

Regards.

Jim

Jim,

The training assistance teams shouldn't qualify. Similar teams that train the Saudi Military in KSA (also in the combat zone) don't qualify for the combat patch but receive ALL of the incentive pays and then a little extra!

Scott