WWII USMC HATCHET COVER?

oldabewla

I had this cover for a wile now and not for sure about it? It's made from heavy WWII canvas material and is mildew proofed just as the military did it! also the rear hook is made from brass and no markings or dates on it.

I don't beieve it's a boy scout or a civilian cover but I could be wrong? they just wouldn't be made this well for sale to the public a cheaper canvas would had been used.

I was thinking Korean War but the material is not the OD #7 it's the early WWII canvas as said earlier the only other thing could it be USMC? but the hooks in the back are not bent down on the ends like the USMC hooks are done. One other thing is it made up for surplus stores? but why when their was at the time tons of military issued covers out their.

Craig

post-7997-0-74237600-1383274390.jpg

post-7997-0-97939600-1383274401.jpg

One other thing is it made up for surplus stores? but why when their was at the time tons of military issued covers out their.

Craig

Well, there must have been a shortage of surplus covers at one point because it seems a bunch of M1942 F-A pouches were 'repurposed' into hand axe covers by surplus dealers.

RC

craig_pickrall

It may be your photo but that cover does not look as long as the standard GI cover. Have you tried to put an issue hatchet in it? Who is the maker of the LTD?

The cover is 6 inches long and a WWII hatchet fits in it. I put it up next to a British made WWII hatchet cover with the buckle and they are the same size. The cover is mildew proofed and for the civil market i don't think they would do that?

Craig

post-7997-0-10356300-1383277884.jpg