artu44

Hickok Pistol Lanyard

After years of absence from the market, the Hickok lanyard seems today very popular among ebay sellers. Even an italian seller on ebay Italy was offering such a lanyard, and when I told him my suspects , he confessed me he bought it during a trip in USA paying 1.50$ for a sample picked up from a bunch. I dont wanna consider the fact that in another forum someone asked for dimensional caracteristics in order to made replicas, however he found quickly a guy who gave him all clues. Now, the well known ebway seller Amarcott tell me the one he is selling is with no doubt genuine but the stitching is a bit unsatisfactorily. This one pictured below is sold in these days from another guy on US ebay and from pics the stitching appears regular but the colour of the cord is a bit dark. What do you think? I miss so much a genuine Hickok!!

post-67-1169229555.jpg

post-67-1169229583.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Here's an original; to compare Cord & Leather Coloring, & Stitching. Also pictured: a Hickok WWII Army General's Pistol Belt.

post-283-1169247851.jpg

Artu, That lanyard screams fake due to the stitching alone. The thread is probably synthetic, not cotton and the stitching is way too small and tight. Also, look at the hooks. The fake lanyards hook is completely closed, while the originals hook has a small gap in them. I have added a direct comparison between this supect lanyard and two original Hickok lanyards from my collection. It's a shame that people are still being duped into buying these pieces of crap. Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the forum.

Bob

post-299-1169312715.jpg

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

Thanks Bob, the close hook is an excellent clue but I have to adapt my eye to the real stitching.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Photographed this one .....

There is a gap in the hook, although not clearly visible on the photo, but the markings are on the other side of those shown above...

dscf00052pi.jpg

Worth buying or not?

How long have these fakes been around? And why? I can't say there's an interest in them in Europe...

Johan

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Well Johan, you have to know that in three full years of daily watching on ebay (I'm retired), I saw only one Hickok two years ago sold tgether a mint M4 Postal Service holster. I did my 130$ offer on that lot but the seller wasn't able to remove the block for overseas bidder so I couldn't have these items and an american bidder got both items for 32$. Since a couple of months you cans see Hoickoks offered everywhere and of course the thing stinks.

There is little or no interest for these lanyards in Europe just for ignorance of them, and after all you very rarely can encounter a pistol lanyard in wartime pics.

BTW The date on your pic is 1945? This lanyard was made only in 1943 so, if I see well, your faker is quite honest.

The date is 1943...

I've known this one for about 20 years....

Johan, I was trying to say that in Europe most people ignore the exsistance of this particular lanyard mainly because it doesn't appear in pics. You should have a trip on a french forum to see the level of aknowledgement about US stuff.

If you have that lanyard since 20 years, you can be sure it's genuine. Fakers started their work few months ago.

You should have a trip on a french forum to see the level of aknowledgement about US stuff.

Not sure I follow you here.... Do you mean there IS a lot of knowledge there or were you being sarcastic and that there isn't a lot of knowledge?

In fact the lanyard pictured by me above was in a local store about 20 years ago and it came together with a M1917 one...

The rope on the Hickok lanyard is very hard though, much harder than on the WW1 model!

JOhan

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Not sure I follow you here.... Do you mean there IS a lot of knowledge there or were you being sarcastic and that there isn't a lot of knowledge?

In fact the lanyard pictured by me above was in a local store about 20 years ago and it came together with a M1917 one...

The rope on the Hickok lanyard is very hard though, much harder than on the WW1 model!

JOhan

My problem is that I think in italian then I translate things in a poor english to explain my thinking to a belgian, then some misunderstanding is highly probable.

I'm registered also in a nice french forum where I found some good friends really competent in US WWI stuff but is not the same with WWII items. You can see a lot of posts full of ingenuity about.

My problem is that I think in italian then I translate things in a poor english to explain my thinking to a belgian, then some misunderstanding is highly probable.

I'm registered also in a nice french forum where I found some good friends really competent in US WWI stuff but is not the same with WWII items. You can see a lot of posts full of ingenuity about.

Please keep it civil guys thumbsup.gif

Dave.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61663-forum-member-bilkos-dave-death-reported/

About when did the repros start hitting the market. I don't remember seeing any repros of these 2-3 years ago although maybe they were out there but I just didn't notice, Ray

donation2008.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.