Guest george62

Can someone please help me id this?

Guest george62

Hi I'am new here and I have been looking on the internet trying to find out something about this plate and I came across this forum so I'am hoping someone will know what I have.I don't exactly know what it is. I think it might be something to do with a hat. It says US Marine Corps Octagon Plate 1807. There is a eagle and he has something in his mouth. There are also some drums and the word Fortitudine and Marines is written on the bottom.

This is what it says on the yellow card. This cap devise is listed in the 1807 Marine Corps Uniform Regulations as the Octagon Plate. Although a square plate bearing the same design was in the possesion of the Smithsoian Institute it was not authenticated unitl 1959. In the summer of that year workers at Fort Tomkins NY unearthed parts of two samples with the corners clipped to produce an octagon shape. Dates of occupancy of Fort Tomkins and the historical knowledge of a barracks for naval personnel ashore, precisely date this design

In the publication American Military Insignia 1800-1851 the Smithsonian states that any samples of this plate outside the National Museum collections should be considered with caution. Advanced collectors doubt that any complete authentic example survives. The replica above is numbered 165 of 1000 pieces privately struck in 1978 and hand detailed to simulate the age and condition of a original.

Would anybody know who might of made this ? Any help will be appreciated

post-3067-1209348221.jpg

post-3067-1209348246.jpg

The information you provide is accurate. Further there is some correspondence that has attributed this hat plate to the Corps as early as 1804. It was apparently worn thru the War of 1812 and its use beyond that period is unclear, until a new hat plate design for enlisted hats in 1834.

My recollection is, these copies were sold by the Marine Corps Association. I'm sure Bobgee may correct me if my recollection is wrong. Many of course have escaped the plastic case and taken on a life of their own. I seem to recall a number of years ago a die stamp reportedly from actual production of these was sold on ebay... Thats all I can add. s/f Darrell

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Guest george62
The information you provide is accurate. Further there is some correspondence that has attributed this hat plate to the Corps as early as 1804. It was apparently worn thru the War of 1812 and its use beyond that period is unclear, until a new hat plate design for enlisted hats in 1834.

My recollection is, these copies were sold by the Marine Corps Association. I'm sure Bobgee may correct me if my recollection is wrong. Many of course have escaped the plastic case and taken on a life of their own. I seem to recall a number of years ago a die stamp reportedly from actual production of these was sold on ebay... Thats all I can add. s/f Darrell

What is inaccurate? I wrote down what was on the yellow card that is incased in the plastic. I picked this up at a sale and I don't know anything about military this is not my expertise. I was wanting to sell it on ebay but I needed to know a little about what I was talking about. Do you know if it is collectable or worth anything as it says it is 165 of 1000. It must be rare. Thanks for any help.

What is inaccurate?

You misread that reply: he said "The information you provide is accurate."

As for value. Well even reproductions of some items can have a lot of value, but when it's something produced in perhaps very small quantities there may not be enough sales to determine any sort of "normal" market value. This may one of those things: just list it with a starting price of perhaps what you paid and then see where it goes from there.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

Guest george62

So sorry I did misread it. I thought it read inaccurate.Please accept my apology. Thank you both for any help.

If I were you, just start it at a reasonable starting bid of say $9.99 and let it run for 7 days. It seems like you have the right information about it for those interested to be able to find it.

WANTED: USMC / Marine Corp items from all periods!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!" - John J. Pershing

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post. Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif