1913-1930's WHITE RATING BADGE DISPLAY

navyman

Hi,

Thought I would share this display I made with all 1913-1930's white rating badges. I only use cpo's unless a cpo did not exist in that era. There is two examples, sailmaker and ship's cook. I think in ww2 ship's cook came out with a cpo.

Top Row, Left- right

Apprentice petty officer,Boatswain's Mate,Buglermaster,Carpenter's Mate,Commissary Steward,Electrician's Mate,Fire Controlman,

Gunner's Mate,Machinist's Mate

2nd Row, left-right

Master At Arms,Bandmaster,Photographer,Pharmacist's Mate,Printer,Quartermaster,Radioman,Sailmaker(po1),,Signalman

3rd Row left-right

Shipfiter,Ship's Cook(po1),Sorekeeper,Torpedoman,Turret Captain,Yeoman

4th Row left-right

Aerographer's Mate,Aviation Carpenter's Mate,Aviation Machinist's Mate,Aviation Ordnanceman,Aviation Pilot(straight wings),Aviation Pilot(curved wings),Aviation Quartermaster,Aviation Rigger,Aviation Metalsmith

post-2501-0-59498300-1383161002.jpg

Jason

Is the Ship's Cook mounted backwards, or is it a manufacturing error that the crow is facing left?

Very impressive collection. I'm slowly working toward that group, but I'm setting my sights lower in the short term, and going for the 1913 set that only has 16 specialty marks (14 CPO and 2 PO1).

What a great display, it's nice to see them all together like that. Good examples of CPO aviation rates with less overlap between the top chevron and the arch, which I always figured was to give more space for the wider winged specialty marks.

You're right about Ship's Cook/Baker, when they made chief they became Chief Commissary Stewards. Thanks for the post,

Justin B.

Is the Ship's Cook mounted backwards, or is it a manufacturing error that the crow is facing left?

Very impressive collection. I'm slowly working toward that group, but I'm setting my sights lower in the short term, and going for the 1913 set that only has 16 specialty marks (14 CPO and 2 PO1).

Thanks,

Manufacturing error would be my guess. The eagle's head and specialty mark are reverse. I can tell by the chevron material this rate is 1920's or probably 1930's. I have at least one uniform that is ww1 or 1920's that the eagle's head is facing the wrong direction for the era.

Killer man.

Is that the worlds biggest riker mount or a poster frame? Tell us how you made that.

-Jay

Jay,

I bought the over sized frame off eBay, will leave a link. I bought a sheet of 40 x 60 foam board and cut it down to the frame size 36 x 48. You can buy the foam board at office max.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350254553918?var=620000296770&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Jay,

Awesome collection.

How many years did it take you to find them all?

Any interesting stories about how you located or obtained any of the pieces?

Jay,

Awesome collection.

How many years did it take you to find them all?

Any interesting stories about how you located or obtained any of the pieces?

Hi Auggie,

Most of them came off of ebay over the years. As far as the time it took probably 8 years or so, but I never set out to get all of them. It just happen. I would love to get all the blue versions. I do have most of them but need a few of the non aviation and most of the aviation cpo's. You don't see the older aviation cpo rates on blue.

I may later do a ww2-1947 display. I would only use cpo's and have a example of all. Was trying to get them on all uniform types(blues,whites,khaki's,grey's) I think I need like 4 of them yet not including mineman.

• 3 months later...

Another thing I found in my research "travels"... You can see in the image above that some of the aviation CPO badges have an arch that just touches the top chevron, unlike the more standard chief rates where there is quite a bit more overlap. I always thought that was a manufacturer's variation to accommodate the wider winged specialty marks, but it turns out it was official. Change No. 17 to the 1913 Uniform Regulations, March 18, 1918, specified that the eagle for "petty officers attached to the Aviation Corps" would be 1-3/4 inches above the angle of the chevrons, versus the standard 1-1/2 inch. The Uniform Regulations of 1922 don't mention it, but do illustrate aviation CPO badges with the higher spacing, and they obviously continued to be made that way into the 1930s.

Justin B.