8th/9th AAF control towers in WW2

I thought this well designed website would be of interest to the WW2 USAAF buffs out there?

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/Site%20Map.htm

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Yes! I am very interested! I know what I will be doing all night now... :D

Thanks for sharing - Cant wait to go to England one day and check some of this stuff out.

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

Some of the surviving control towers house museums to the BGs and Squadrons which were once based there. They are usually manned and maintained by dedicated volunteers. The control tower at Duxford still actually functions as a control tower today.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Yes! I am very interested! I know what I will be doing all night now... :D

Thanks for sharing - Cant wait to go to England one day and check some of this stuff out.

Let us know Dan when you are coming over !!! so Sabrejet and myself can be out that day !! :lol:

seriously Dan just let me know when you are coming over we could have a blast looking around them all !!!

WANTED : RAF 1940 PATT FLYING BOOTS

WANTED : DINGHY TYPE K ,TYPE A

" ALWAYS WANTING USAAF ITEMS IN THEIR ORIGINAL PACKAGING "

"WOULD ALSO LIKE 487th FS AND 515TH BS RELATED ITEMS "

"Illegitmi non carborundum"

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

There speaks a Lincolnshire lad, born and raised in "bomber country"! ;)

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Glad you like it Kat. I stumbled upon it whilst looking for something else and thought it was worth a heads-up for the forum.

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

There speaks a Lincolnshire lad, born and raised in "bomber country"! ;)

Actually Ian !!! i was born in Suffolk and raised in Lincolnshire ( RAF Bomber county) Scampton was about a 40 min drive away and the Petwood hotel which was the officers mess for the 617 "Dam busters" was about 30 mins away

There have been many a strange sightings and hearings in the sky at night in Lincolnshire , since the war finished !! :o;)

My friend came REALLY close to closing a deal to buy Bodney's control tower and convert it to a house after I showed it to him to show him the possibilities. Unfortunately, the farming group almost doubled the price at the last minute before closing and nixed the entire deal. The building still sits there an empty shell. Real unfortunate.

-Ski

In Memory Of......
Pte Harold Griffiths, 1805, 1/6th Manchester Regt, KIA June 4th, 1915 in Gallipoli
Cpl Isaac Judges, 40494, 6th East Yorkshire Regt, KIA October 3rd, 1917 in Ypres
May they rest in peace.....

MSgt - USAF Retired

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Little Walden control tower is up for sale...wartime home of the 409th and 493rd BG and also the 361st FG..

regards

Lloyd

What do you need another one of those for.....you have 6 of them already ?.........

:blink:

my girlfriend to me on a regular basis as another piece of US WW2 "Green stuff" aka militaria arrives in the post..:-)

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Very cool site Ian. Thanks for the link!

JD

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Try and find any of these in the States !!

And as for converting Bodneys control tower into a house !!!! sacraledge !!!! :o