8th/9th AAF control towers in WW2

Sabrejet

doinworkinvans

Yes! I am very interested! I know what I will be doing all night now... :D

Thanks for sharing - Cant wait to go to England one day and check some of this stuff out.

Some of the surviving control towers house museums to the BGs and Squadrons which were once based there. They are usually manned and maintained by dedicated volunteers. The control tower at Duxford still actually functions as a control tower today.

Yes! I am very interested! I know what I will be doing all night now... :D

Thanks for sharing - Cant wait to go to England one day and check some of this stuff out.

Let us know Dan when you are coming over !!! so Sabrejet and myself can be out that day !! :lol:

seriously Dan just let me know when you are coming over we could have a blast looking around them all !!!

Ian,

Very cool website. A WWII vet in my church was stationed in Framlingham. I just looked up the control tower. I will have to tell him about this website.

...Kat

Glad you like it Kat. I stumbled upon it whilst looking for something else and thought it was worth a heads-up for the forum.

There speaks a Lincolnshire lad, born and raised in "bomber country"! ;)

Actually Ian !!! i was born in Suffolk and raised in Lincolnshire ( RAF Bomber county) Scampton was about a 40 min drive away and the Petwood hotel which was the officers mess for the 617 "Dam busters" was about 30 mins away

There have been many a strange sightings and hearings in the sky at night in Lincolnshire , since the war finished !! :o;)

My friend came REALLY close to closing a deal to buy Bodney's control tower and convert it to a house after I showed it to him to show him the possibilities. Unfortunately, the farming group almost doubled the price at the last minute before closing and nixed the entire deal. The building still sits there an empty shell. Real unfortunate.

-Ski

Try and find any of these in the States !!

And as for converting Bodneys control tower into a house !!!! sacraledge !!!! :o