WW2 Posthumous Army Purple Heart - ETO Italy, Research Assist.

WittWorldWide.com

WittWorldWide.com

Looking for a little extra research help on this one... I have the basics, but as he was buried stateside, and no other Google Search nor Ancestry Data coming up for me, was looking for anyone that may have some unit histories, regimental rolls, etc. that can help nail the unit and date of death before I can get to NARA-NPRC, etc.

Nothing comes up under ASN on NARA AAD for either of the WW2 Enlistment nor POW Searches, so most likely a Draftee...

A Private, listed from Cook Co. IL Died of Wounds. ASN: 36699656 Temp. Burial 5258 at Naples Italy, Perm. Burial 6100 in Illinois.

Thanks, Rich

MaceWarrenJPHobvx.jpgMaceWarrenJPHrevx.jpg

MaceWarrenJW2CasListx.jpg

WittWorldWide.com

So far it appears he was with the 180th Infantry Regiment, 45th ID. Does anyone have the After Action Reports for this unit copied? (For Period Between Sept. 1943 and Aug. 1944, Salerno to Southern France Invasions...)

Thank You for the couple of responses I have had so far... Regards, Rich

Rich

Found reference to him in Chicago Tribune archive could be obits Sorry I do not have a newspaper archive membership !

Two hits were

Dec 6 1944 page 26 Chicago tribune

and Dec 7 1944 page 33 Chicago tribune

Scott

Hi Rich,

I checked for you and you are correct. He was 180th Infantry Regiment, 45th Infantry Division and listed DOW. I do not have a death date. I will look through my 45th Division unit history and see if I can add to your research.

Joe

Hi Rich,

You might want to check out Facebook. It has a page devoted to the 45th Division and it contains files about each regiments casualties. I hope this helps.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

You can always request his IDPF...they wil send you a link to a downloadable pdf file.....that will have all the info about his death, including all the doco assocaited with his return and burial.

Mark sends

WittWorldWide.com

The IDPF Request is already in process, as well as the NPRC file requests, but appreciate the response. This thread's goal was to uncover any other shorter lead time research tools. I am interested in how long your IDPF requests have been taking, and if they are charging fees recently? (In the past this has been all over the board...)

Regards, Rich

The last one I sent was something like 2 months...I got an email saying it was free if I wanted to download the pdf...they give you a onetime use only password to get it, so make sure your interwebs connection is good!

Mark sends