Jeepers Creepers How'd they Protect Their Peepers?

rambob

I thought this might be of interest to the forum. Here is a grouping of WWII, protective eyewear,goggles and disposable Eye Shields. Here is a list of the items and descriptions from top left.

1) Rare pair of Goggles, Ski, Polaroid. Larger and more scarce than the M-1943 goggles below.

2) Goggles, Dark Adaptive 37G3531, Red lenses with paper packet. Goggles ink stamped US 1944 inside. Note protective paper on lenses

3) Goggles, M-1943 Geen lenses with issue OD leatherette case. Goggles ink stamped US 1944 inside. Note protective paper on lenses

4) Mask, Face, Rocket-Launcher with original issue box. Similar to M1943 goggles, but with extra oilcloth piece sewn on to protect face. Goggles ink stamped US 1944 inside and with protective paper also on lenses.

5) Clip on sun glasses with OD leatherette case marked, U.S F.G Co 1945.

6) Goggles, Ski, Mountain with two style, brown leatherette cases and spare lenses, with tissue paper. Goggles marked FGC on inside of leather nose piece.

7) Sunglases with OD leatherette case. Case marked F.G Co U.S.

post-299-0-31285200-1383072683.jpg

Here are some goggles.

1) Goggle Kit, Polaroid No. 1021 with cloth carry roll and spare lenses. Below the roll, note the more scarce oilcloth OD case and spare lenses for these same goggles.

2) Goggles, M-1944 with original issue box and spare lenses. Note protective paper still on the lenses. Markings are Polaroid Goggle M-1944 and dated 1945 on the left temple. They don't come nicer than these.

3) Assorted Disposible Eye Shades and an Eye Shield, still sealed in their original envelopes.

post-299-0-08500200-1383072805.jpg

Finally an interesting goggle that would be used by USAF Bomber gunners.

A pair of the Goggles Variable Density with issue box and spare lenses.

post-299-0-62079100-1383072911.jpg

I realized that I really didn't show what the disposable eye shield actually looked like. Here one is with 4 different kind of packages.

post-299-0-82847000-1383073623.jpg

Good informative thread...well thought out. Great to see the variety of goggles / sunglasses all laid out like that. Thanks for taking the time!

oooo !! look at all those pretty non issued in original wrapping items !! :o dreamy !! if you live in LB,s world that is !! :D

Thanks for the kind words. hirsca, Interesting 1021 kit variation you have there. LittleBoy, Everything in Rambob's world is in as mint, unissued condition as is available.

Bob

craig_pickrall

Very nice display Bob. It looks like you have been rooting around in my box of goggles. We must have shopped the same places in the 70's thru 90's.

Here is a photo of the variable density goggles in use. It is from LIFE magazine dated FEB 7, 1944.

post-5-0-45682400-1383095641.jpg

Craig, You flatter me. Your collection is what mine wants to be when it grows up. Did you notice that the goggles in your picture don't appear to have the red filter assembly on them? BTW. Military Marketplace with Tom Gordon was my military dealer of choice back then. I wish he were still in business and feel bad for the newer collectors that they missed him and his mother load.

Bob

Slightly off topic, but in the same family. These were attached to binoculars. Issued with a separate set of adaptors for different sized eyepieces. Not sure of the era used, but BU.SHIPS,U.S.N. was used during WW2 (I think). I can't find the box right now.

By the way rambob, I have a set of the variable density goggles, but my flip up/down red lenses have suffered from improper storage. I see that you have an extra set???

I'll post a pic of the box when I can find it. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-51564000-1383144551.jpg

post-12790-0-21717700-1383144562.jpg

post-12790-0-73629500-1383144576.jpg

Slightly off topic, but in the same family. These were attached to binoculars. Issued with a separate set of adaptors for different sized eyepieces. Not sure of the era used, but BU.SHIPS,U.S.N. was used during WW2 (I think). I can't find the box right now.

Here is the USMC version:

1.jpg

Al. PM me your mailing address and I will throw the lens into an envelope and send it to you. FYI. It is the same lens in the picture, which is pretty scratched up, but structurally perfect.

Bob

Al. PM me your mailing address and I will throw the lens into an envelope and send it to you. FYI. It is the same lens in the picture, which is pretty scratched up, but structurally perfect.

Bob

You are a gentleman! Thank you very much. Al.