USMC Civil War CDV w/ Shako

Brig

Faint, but you can clearly see the wreath, shield and horn on his shako. Great 3 1/2" CDV of a USMC officer, circa Civil War era. Great image I managed to add to my collection, finding USMC photos of this era is pretty dang hard!

10-28-2013 07;42;22PM.jpg

No marks, and I think it is a private now that I google Civil War uniforms

If memory serves, there were far few than 1000 officer of the era

No marks, and I think it is a private now that I google Civil War uniforms

If memory serves, there were far few than 1000 officer of the era

1864-1876 the Marine Corps force size was under 2000

normaninvasion

I guess your all correct about him being an EM. I'm ignorant regarding dress of pre1875, clearly the jacket is not for an officer. The tar bucket emblems threw me off, thought the wreath and shield were for officers?

Leatherneck72

Very distinctly not an officer. This is an enlistedman in the 1859 pattern double breasted full dress tunic and shako. This shako was not the "tar bucket." The Marines used a much taller all leather shako in the 1820's to 1840's that had the nickname.

I tried to clean up the image a bit.

I'm not sure if the focus is uneven or distorted, or if it is just wear on the photograph. But you can actually make out some of the details of the shako, and the cuffs. However the face and shoulders just seem to be less in focus.

Keep in mind this is a clean up of the photo posted on here...someone working directly with the original might be able to do better.

Brig 2.jpg

Very nice touch-up, thanks!

My brother-in-law is big into photography and graphic arts, maybe I can recruit him

Very nice image. Does anyone remember the Civil War EM frock that I posted a while back - which Dave Taylor had for sale? It was 100% right, but was single breasted - and very much resembled the M1861 frock.

I have been collecting Civil War for 20 years, and his was the only one that I have seen for sale. I've seen them in books - that's about it. If I remember correctly, Dave said that in 40 years of dealing, he has owned TWO. I think one was an officer's uniform, the other enlisted. When you do find them, they are essentially a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'll keep routing through attics and old houses and keep you posted... haha

I did manage to pick up that GAR document for a Civil War Marine who was wounded at Fort Fisher - again... that was MY once in a lifetime find.