A Vietnam war era River Assault Squadron 13 Flamethrower Monitor patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Howdy patch peeps,
Here is a recent pickup that really has me excited.It is an incountry made River Assault Squadron Flamethrower Monitor piece.
I've never seen one of these.The 132-2 is the boat number,the Mon-Flame is the designation:Flame thrower Monitor.

Seller's pics,will post some more images when it arrives.Enjoy!

post-13386-0-82878100-1383002360.jpg

post-13386-0-00019800-1383002366.jpg

Patchcollector

Here is a photo I found of the actual Flamethrower,or "Zippo" boat for the patch I have.This is 132-2 doing some night work.

post-13386-0-16248600-1383045097.jpg

Both ATCs and Monitors had flame throwers - yours is the gunboat version (e.g. monitor type).

Vietnamese machine embroidered patch with good details to the small lettering, eventhough "Assult" is spelled wrong!

Patchcollector

Both ATCs and Monitors had flame throwers - yours is the gunboat version (e.g. monitor type).

Vietnamese machine embroidered patch with good details to the small lettering, eventhough "Assult" is spelled wrong!

Thanks for the info!Yes I noticed that.It's not uncommon on the theatre made pieces.I have a few more in my collection with typos.

I don't think that the Vietnamese patchmakers knew english too well! :) I'm real happy to have it in my collection,as it is the first one I've ever seen.

I think it is one of the scarcer Riverboat pieces to find.

All TF-117 patches are much harder to find than most other Navy patches used in Vietnam.

Patchcollector

All TF-117 patches are much harder to find than most other Navy patches used in Vietnam.

Interesting.I did'nt know that,thanks for the info!

Patchcollector

I found this info:

Early on, two ATCs were modified to field flamethrowers. The simplest conversion was the removal of the soft top on the ATC and an M132A1 APC [armored personnel carrier] with an M10-8 flame gun was backed onto the boat.The APC contained the fuel and compressed air tanks to power the flame gun.The APC was heavy and made ATC steering difficult with the 12.5-ton vehicle aboard.However, the flamethrower was a very nasty surprise for the VC.

A purpose-built conversion of the ATC (T-111-7) followed soon after that installed the compressed air tanks and fuel in the well deck of the boat under armor and put two

M10-8 flame guns on a modified bow.

From what I understand,the ones with the armored personnel carriers placed on the boats were the first "Zippos",but these proved unpractical and then the purpose built boats were designed and made.

Patchcollector

Here is a photo I found of a M132A1 “flame track” APC,or Armored Personnel Carrier,that was driven into the 1st Generation ATC and used as a weapon.

The Monitor that my patch represents used a built in system,as the APC idea did'nt prove to be practical.

post-13386-0-46898400-1383174622.jpg

Patchcollector

Here is a pic of a boat designated as Z-132-1.I'm not familiar with the "Z" designation,perhaps it stands for "Zippo" boat.The flame guns are mounted up front coaxially with machine guns,a nasty combination.

post-13386-0-96107700-1383221653.jpg

Hi PC,

Thats a great patch. They are exceptionally rare to specific boats. The closest I can come is this named patch for Monitor M-92-1.

Regards, Mitch

post-592-0-81999000-1383262113.jpg

Patchcollector

And this is the document identifying the boat to the individual who owned the patch.

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

Thanks,that's a great named patch you have.It's interesting that mine and yours are both "subdued",which I believe is also a limiting factor as most of the Riverboat patches I've seen are color.

It's a plus that you have the documentation of the owner of your patch,very nice commendation and signed by Vice Adm. Zumwalt,no less.

I do have one other boat specific piece that I posted here on the forum some time ago,it has the Captains' name on the patch.I'll post some pics of it here.

Here is also a link to the thread.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/122792-local-made-vietnam-era-patch-for-id/?hl=%20river%20%20patch

I also found some info online regarding your patches unit,so after OP reports:

http://www.mrfa.org/ras09d.htm

post-13386-0-50967400-1383276014.jpg

Hi Bearmon,

Thats a great rare colored tango boat patch.

PC,

Another great colored patch and rare also. Thanks for the picture of the boat. It must be just before my guy got assigned to it. Attached are pictures from the same group showing the flags you see in your picture. The arrow with #1 shows where, according to his note on the back , is where the LT. sat in charge of a column of 25-30 Assault boats. The lower picture of the boat with sandbags has a note to the back that he and the radio operator had put them there as the previous Captain and this radio operator were wounded and the LT. sitting between the 50 cal, turrets and the coning tower was killed.They were hit by a B-40 rocket.

Mitch

post-592-0-96771100-1383310523.jpg