Odd Lake City 30-06 round...

I found this in my travels today. It's a 30-06 round made by Lake City in '43 and it's unusual in that it has five circular punch outs around the bullet's circumference. I can't seem to find any reference online for this round. Can any one ID it?

Thanks & best regards,

Len

post-14135-0-29471000-1382983096.jpg

"If it ain't Baroque don't fix it."- J.S. Bach

Isn't blue tip an anti-personnel round??? I think it is for .50 cal. If so, maybe it's designed to fragment a little bit?

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

I don't think frangible bullets were around in WWII.

Actually, they were but they were totally different than what the OP posted.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I didn't type very clearly, I knew it was 30-06. I meant that I think blue tip = anti-personnel, as in some kind of exploding projectile. Remembered an account of a fighter pilot that almost shot himself down, I think he was a P-51 man, and they dug one of his own bullet fragments from the up close and personal damage he was inflicting on a German plane out of his cooling system. I seem to remember the article mentioning the blue paint from the piece they popped out of his plane. I would think a .30 would be way small for any kind of explosive action like that. A quick "google" said that sometimes blue tip means incendiary, and "The High Road" cites the CMP and other sources as saying that it is incendiary ammunition, designated "M1" for the M1 rifle.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-9157.html

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

Here is a .30 Caliber M22 Frangible cartridge from 1945.

post-84-1169964288.jpg

Photo credit: the late GaryLM

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif