Odd Lake City 30-06 round...

Len S

I found this in my travels today. It's a 30-06 round made by Lake City in '43 and it's unusual in that it has five circular punch outs around the bullet's circumference. I can't seem to find any reference online for this round. Can any one ID it?

Thanks & best regards,

Len

post-14135-0-29471000-1382983096.jpg

I don't think frangible bullets were around in WWII.

Actually, they were but they were totally different than what the OP posted.

I didn't type very clearly, I knew it was 30-06. I meant that I think blue tip = anti-personnel, as in some kind of exploding projectile. Remembered an account of a fighter pilot that almost shot himself down, I think he was a P-51 man, and they dug one of his own bullet fragments from the up close and personal damage he was inflicting on a German plane out of his cooling system. I seem to remember the article mentioning the blue paint from the piece they popped out of his plane. I would think a .30 would be way small for any kind of explosive action like that. A quick "google" said that sometimes blue tip means incendiary, and "The High Road" cites the CMP and other sources as saying that it is incendiary ammunition, designated "M1" for the M1 rifle.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-9157.html

IIRC the Air Corps used frangible ammo at the being of the war for areial gunnery. .30 cal was the standard machine gun round at the beginning.

CD