WW2 Strikers

Alec

What is the middle one?

Alligator spitting out tanks was for Amphibious Forces.As I understand it those attached or part of the Landing craft for infantry,tanks etc.

Alligator spitting out tanks was for Amphibious Forces.As I understand it those attached or part of the Landing craft for infantry,tanks etc.

Still referred to as the "Gator Navy," if I remember correctly from a little time spent on various LPDs, LHAs, etc.

Very cool set of insignia. I haven't seen the amphibious one before.

These were made for wear on the Marine Green uniform. It was thought that Marines who graduated from "A" School (they attended Navy Technical schools) would wear the same "Striker Marks" as the Sailors. So, the manufacturers cranked them out, and went on and made Marine versions of every cloth insignia worn by Navy enlisted Sailors, whether a Marine would actually wear them or not. The MC did not authorize the wear of these marks, although some Marines did wear some of the aviation school marks until told to remove them. This according to John Stacey.

Yes,there are many of the strikers done on forrest green.As Sigs stated not authorized but often worn.You commonly see the parachute riggers striker on Para marine uniforms on the cuff by non riggers.I have a 1st Mar Div uniform with a striker for radio or communications on it.I have seen the CBs wear forest green as well and they wore the strikers as well.Will see the small red cross at time worn on the cuff of the forest greens as well for the corpsman.

Nice set. Sailors attached to usmc units, CBs, and corpsmen would wear these when authorized to wear marine greens. Like others have said though manufactures made all kinds of strikers in all kinds unauthorized color combinations. They are fun to collect.

-Jay

I own a USMCWR Coat where she put the ordnance striker on the lower sleeve, the job she was assigned to at Lejeune.

I thought it was very cool that she put it on her service coat.

LF

• 5 years later...

Does anyone know where I can get a hard copy of the book?

To the best of my knowledge, John Stacey's books were only published spiral bound paperback. For anyone collecting US Navy rating badges and marks or US Navy marks on USMC uniforms, John's books are a must.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
9 hours ago, busternfo said:

Aviation Machinist's Mate.  Probably gold embroidery on a blue wool back ground. 

Thanks buster.

Couldn't find an image of a Marine one.Found the Navy one though, could this be the one being worn?

t154208764172_1_0_1.jpg

I would think the one being worn would be gold / yellow embroidery.  The USMC distinguishing marks usually had the mark embroidered in gold, red or green depending on the uniform color.  Marks with white embroidery are typical of the Navy I believe.  But, as stated earlier in this thread, these marks for USMC were made by the same makers who produced the white-on-blue and blue-on-white specialty and distinguishing marks for the USN.  And, my understanding is the USMC marks were generally not authorized, but were worn anyway, as evidenced by your photo.  Here are some examples of the gold-on-blue marks for the USMC.  I hope this is more help than confusion 

Gold distinguishing marks.jpeg

I did not see Justin B's post before sending my last (#22).  I would also highly recommend going to the site Justin has in his post; a great reference by John Stacey.

A little help please; what did I do / not do to make my reply #1, instead of continuing the numbering of the thread?  Can my last post be changed to #23?  Sorry for the mess-up.

On 10/28/2013 at 5:17 AM, doyler said:

Here's a clearer image

SAM_6281.JPG.2019b4169f28084e6de8e00fd34ba017.JPGSAM_6283.JPG.c8d04611aa5ed7c8ac19d109b7a14459.JPG