Guadalcanal 1st Marine Div. "D-2" Veteran

artur95

AMAZING grouping! Love the Australian made cap. Favorite item is probably the really cool campaign hat. God Bless him and his service.

Kyle

AMAZING grouping! Love the Australian made cap. Favorite item is probably the really cool campaign hat. God Bless him and his service.

Kyle

There's a second campaign hat that came with the group. I am interested in selling it. It's not in the best of shape but if anyone is interested, you can message me.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is a very special grouping in my eyes. I am an Australian and have a particular interest in the 1st MARDIV. The sidecap was made in

My hometown of Adelaide. I have seen many Aussie items made by MYERS bet never for the USMC... That is a very special item indeed. I am also very interested in the campaign hat pictured. Could you please provide more images of it ? I have also PM'd you re the other campaign hat for sale. Thank you for posting this grouping mate it sure is a great help to my research of the 1st DIV in Australia?

Cheers

Sean

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Browsing online I recently rediscovered Vernon having been mentioned in Hell's Islands: The Untold Story of Guadalcanal. Having been assigned to D-2 on Guadacanal, he was under the command of THE Colonel Goettge. Vernon actually volunteered for the ill fated patrol but here is an excerpt from the book that will provide a better account of the tragedy:

"Lieutenant Soule, the division photographer, was to go with the patrol, but at the last minute it was decided that taking photographs at night would not be practical. Twenty-one-year-old Cpl. Vernon C. Stimpel, also from D-2, asked to go along but was advised by Colonel Goettge to remain with the others and "keep an eye on things." He assured Stimpel that they would "be back shortly.""

Here is a link to the book: https://books.google.com/books?id=PahbHutdCNkC&pg=PA198&lpg=PA198&dq=%22vernon+c+stimpel%22&source=bl&ots=dOnRKVHjLZ&sig=an4X1XoTOcJ7CLz8rlMdRSKX26M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz9oGikYjZAhUBCKwKHQX5CAUQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=%22vernon%20c%20stimpel%22&f=false

Vernon is pictured in a group photo on page 347. He also clipped out an article that appeared during the war, which described the night of the patrol in depth. I will take pictures of it in the future. Luck was on his side that night.

Artur