Paramarine reference photos

thunderw21

I picked up this Mechanix magazine years ago. It's from October 1942. It's a photo essay so no article to go along with the photos. Sorry for the poor quality images, they were captured with a scanner when I first found the magazine. It's now somewhere in storage.

0001_zps5fecf9ad.jpg

008_zps5583dd22.jpg

006_zps877920b3.jpg

004_zps99f0a987.jpg

002_zps91b57d7a.jpg

005_zps5ab90648.jpg

003_zps67ebb7d9.jpg

001_zps6d05bc25.jpg

Fantastic photo report!

Yet another excellent source for the Paramarines reference photos is the AAHS Journal Vol. 34 No. 4, Winter 1989. I cannot post it because I do not want to violate copyright laws. None the less I recomend issue mentioned and article "The Paramarines. Organization and Training of USMC Parachute Troops, 1940-1944" by Maj. Merle T. Cole. The article contains 10 interesting photographs.

I agree...first class reference material! What's the canvas holster with the leather (?) tip in the 5th photo...it's not a type I recognize.

I picked up this Mechanix magazine years ago. It's from October 1942. It's a photo essay so no article to go along with the photos. Sorry for the poor quality images, they were captured with a scanner when I first found the magazine. It's now somewhere in storage.

005_zps5ab90648.jpg

Images of the Paramarines with any communications systems are relatively rare. In the article I mentioned above of the AAHS Journal a very nice and high quality photo can be seen with a Paramarine wearing frogskin smock and equipped with the US Navy MAB radio.

Westen E Somand 292320. Enlisted out of Chicago in Aug 1940. FMF until assigned to Co A 1st Parachute BN, Jan 42. HQ Co of same in Oct 42. Sgt same unit until July 1943 rotated home. Shows up next and last as a radio instructor Radio Materiel School, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington DC in July 1945.

No other civilian info found....only USMC roles. Maybe he changed his name after the war.