1948 E48 Gas Mask

Retro

Hey guys, just some show and tell I guess. After seeing the fantastic M5 assault masks that have been posted recently (a mask I have yet to get my hands on), I'd thought I would show an example of the revision of that design post war. This is the E48, an experimental trial mask that stemmed from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's E19R25 design submission (or so I understand). The mask was more or less a heavily revised replacement for the M5 assault mask (we aren't talking about stop gaps like the M8 Snout mask). The M5 suffered from a number of shortcomings, namely the use of the neoprene facepieces that were discovered to warp, harden, or crack when exposed to cold temperatures; a process known as "coldset". These new side loading canister masks, following in the footsteps of the British lightweight antigas respirators and the US M5 assault mask, were designed to reduce bulk and to make canister replacement a more modular procedure (quite the departure from the majority of designs that came prior).

The E48 mask later became standardized as the well known M9 series. In fact, there aren't many differences between the E48 and the final M9, despite the shift in color (though a select few of the early M9s were molded in black) and the C15 valve cover differences. This example is dated 1948 and was produced by Firestone Rubber. Not in fantastic condition...a little rusty here and there and a cracked lens, but in my opinion, a very interesting piece.

post-60060-0-29811900-1382845991.jpg

post-60060-0-41207700-1382846008.jpg

post-60060-0-25993500-1382846024.jpg

norwegian blue

HI Dan, thanks for this good piece of information!

since you obviously know your stuff, I have question about the C15 valve cover, is that definitely a post-war improvement?

Hey Norwegian, that certainly is a good question and I don't know if I can provide an answer. It seems to be a valve design that they dabbled around with at the tail end of the war. I believe both C15 valve types (this one and the one like you find on the M9) were around, but they never reached any widespread use. There are cases of the low profile black C15 (like the one on this E48) being fitted to M5s and M8 Snout masks, but I believe those were under experimental circumstances as it is very, very difficult to find an M5 or M8 with such a valve. Any input from others can help there.

Here are some pictures from a 1946 FM 21-40 field manual:
M8 fitted with this type C15 valve:
post-60060-0-57052900-1382910502.jpg
M5 (maybe a drawn illustration?) with that valve:
post-60060-0-25896600-1382910518.jpg

Also, that same valve is shown fitted to the M8s in the 1951 and 1954 TM 3-205 technical manuals.

Here's another pic that was shown in Christopher T. Carey's U.S. Chemical and Biological Defense Respirators: An Illustrated History of that type valve on an M5 (original photo credit to U.S. Army Chemical Warfare Museum, Ft. McClellan, Alabama):

post-60060-0-49659400-1382911005.jpg

norwegian blue

Hello Dan and thanks for your opinion, I learned something today!

I like strange stuff and stopgaps so I hunted for a snout-type M8 and found one a few years ago. Not a much sought-after type, but apparently not easy to find, however.

Yes, I also like the strange and improvised stuff. The M8 might not be as sought after as something like an M5, however, I do find the M8 very interesting. The M8 was a quick solution to a problem during a time of limited resources and rubber shortages (modifying old M2 series facepieces and such). The M8 might not have been carried ashore at Normandy, but it is still an "assault mask", only with an invasion of Japan in mind. It was also learned through the M8 that the chin mounted canisters was not an optimal design, thus the return to the side loading canisters with the development of the E48 and later M9s. So it does hold at least some historical value in mask development.

Thanks,

Dan

This is an interesting thread, I don't know too much about the post WWII masks.

Was there an experimental carrier (canvas bag) issued for this mask?

RC

Hey RC, this mask in particular came with the standard waterproof C15R1 that's with all M9s (not the M11 carrier with the M9A1). It's even marked for the M9 so it may not be original to the piece. I suspect that the early E48 carrier would have either been an M7 pattern, or an unmarked experimental version of the E15R1. I'm not real sure on that one though.

Thanks,

Dan

It's very possible. Post war mask development in the later 40s is quite vague. Judging that the E48 was intended to replace the M5, and looking forward to the final M9, I would think that the carrier would have been of the same overall design: rubberized bag with the roll up closure. Just speculation of course.

The M7 bag was kept in service after WWII but it was changed from the dome snap type buttons of WWII to the lift the dot with post very late WWII or after WWII ( bag seen in the black & white photo with mask.

Craig

Thanks for pointing that out, Craig. I notice also that it is only 3 lift-the-dots like on the C15R1 carrier for the M9. Kinda neat to see it evolving.