Large style WWI first aid pouch & bandge? question

oldabewla

I pick up this WWI pouch M1910 this summer at auction with another smaller body pouch with the wire hanger throught the body it's the M1905 type for $5 for the pair.

I about crapped my pants when I got home and found that the early fiber cloth wrapped first aid bandge I had for 10 years they both are dated the same month & year May 1917 and are both the larger type bandge & pouch? they are back together again after 96 years! I could never get the bandge in the regular type WWI pouch? Is this a WWI medic bandge pouch or something else?

Craig

post-7997-0-72259900-1382846650.jpg

Hi again Craig ! Your nice pouch is a Diagnosis Pouch as worn by medic personnel in WWI. Your one is the less common "cut corners" one, as made by Mills before they turned, in early 1918, to the standard square corners model.

Here a couple of examples: one 1916 with Eagle buttons, one May 1917 identical to your one and a nice shot of some brave Medic guys. Please note: only the May 1917 is mine...The other pictures come from old topic here on the Forum and are property of other fellow members...

Fausto

post-8381-0-63657300-1382862303.jpg

The Diagnosis Tag Pouch was supposed to contain a pad of diagnosis tags, a pencil and a small instrument case (or a pair of scissors, I can't remember). The medical soldier carried bandages in the pockets of his Hospital Corps Belt.

Craig, I also had some confusion with the WWI medic pouch awhile ago, but was set straight by Fausto. Here is the diagnostic pouch I once mistakenly had on my WWI Tommy display before I purchased the correct,smaller first aid pouch. BTW. My diagnostic pouch shown, does not have the clipped corners like yours does.

Bob

post-299-0-26285000-1382880874.jpg

Fausto, Thanks for the kind words. Yes the 1917 is one of the jewels of my collection. I was lucky to piece together a rig of suitable condition to do it justice. I should retake a picture of Tommy, but wearing the correct rig this time.

Bob

Thanks Bob & Fausto for helping me out on my WWI medic's pouch, I figured it was for it but wasn't for sure.

Very nice WWI display Bob !! I sold some of the WWI 45 ammo before to a guy on the Culvers shooters page for $ 50 a box back a few years ago and it looks the same as I had sold in your last photo? mine came from a antique dealer that purchased a unopen box of it he had about five boxes left over went I bought it from him. I have two boxes of WWI I didn't sell for my collection & I think some between the Wars 45 ammo.

The one box of 20 cart. 1917 Peters Cartridge Co , the other is United States Cartridge Company 1917 and the last two boxes are 40 Cart. Frankford Arsenal no date on boxes

I collected WWII field gear hot & heavy for a about 15 years until I purchased and restored a WWII WLA Harley now I'm buying anything associated with WWII US motorcyles mostly Harley!

Craig

Bob... I'm again speechless. That's a really complete and impressive grouping. I love in particular the complete holster grouping and the set of S&W cleaning rods, which includes all the three produced sizes...

I have a mint M4 style holster, but unfortunately it is not military. It is dated 1951, made by Milwaukee and issued to the P.O. Dept.

Fausto

post-8381-0-22422700-1383038713.jpg

post-8381-0-25081600-1383038722.jpg

post-8381-0-92343400-1383038730.jpg

Fausto, Thanks for the nice words on my display!! I took a hint from my wife who always told me "It pays to accessorize!!" BTW.That is one nice condition holster YOU have there!! I was hoping someone noticed the three cleaning rod lengths. Sorta hard to find all three lengths and a complete, box.

Bob

Some great items shown here.

Fausto that holster is insane.First one I have seen but it makes sense the Post Office would have them.I purchased a Colt revolver last year and the seller told me it was one of two that were originally in a small town post office in his area.He was selling it for the man who had worked there.