What type of helmet do I have?

anton67

Picked this one up today.

The guy says it was used in Afghanistan.

I am not saying I believe him.

What do I have here?

I collect helmets but mostly WWII - Vietnam.

post-63438-0-08230600-1382834785.jpg

You have a pair of ESS goggles w/cover on there, plus the NVG mount, both of which would sell well separately, so you need to factor that into the overall price / value of the helmet.

SergeantMajorGray

Plain ACH's with pads, cover, bands and NVG mounts are selling for about $75 on ebay right now. This one with it's dirt, goggles rhino arm and the other thing on the arm should get this one around $110-125 IMO.

I got it for under $100 so apparently I did OK. This is the latest version of the US helmet, right?

This is what is worn today, right?

I have two older Kevlars, but this is the only newer version I own.

Would you guys add anything to it at this point?

SergeantMajorGray

I got it for under $100 so apparently I did OK. This is the latest version of the US helmet, right?

Yes it's current issue but it's starting to get replaced. I'd keep it as is it's more complete than most unless you have some night vision goggles laying around ^_^

it's a good example of a current used helmet with that "been there" look. If you remove the velcro'd sponge pads (one at a time) you should reveal the manufacturer's stamp / contract details...maybe Gentex?

ACHs are whats being worn today. Not sure if its army-wide or not but ACHs with a sensor in the top to record any TBI events are being issued to deploying soldiers now.

If you are displaying it, I would remove the j-arm (the piece that is painted on your helmet). The j-arm isn't attached alone like that. Its kept screwed into the night vision and when not in use the night vision is kept in a pouch or something.

The helmets contract info should be on a sticker in the ear. And try not to remove the helmet pads. The felt back part of the pads often gets ripped off by the Velcro.

What you have is a nice combat used ACH. I wouldn't hesitate owning this helmet and having it in my collection.

Contract information is indeed on stickers inside the ear area of the helmet. Manufacture date is on a sticker in the inside top.