Remembering Beirut, Lebanon - 23 October 1983 - Semper Fi!

bobgee

Honoring the memory of the Marines of the 24th MAU/ BLT 1/8 who died in Beirut 30 years ago. They were "peace time" Marines on a Peacekeeping mission. They were killed by a terrorist. May they Rest in Peace. The following video tells the story. Semper Fi....Bobgee

http://www.dvidshub.net/video/303131/marines-beirut#.Ulh2XhC1vy8

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
gpspartans

God Bless. I was stateside and pissed at the time. Ready to go. I was mad we pulled out without taking the responsible parties out.

• 6 years later...

I had been walking through my neighborhood in Vandalia, Ohio a couple years ago when I spied this plaque set in cement at the base of a flag pole in a houses front yard.

That same summer, the lady was holding a garage sale and I stopped to chat. The Marine who was memorialized was her brother, killed in the deadly attack in Beirut. She was very emotional in here retelling of the events. The house was here parents house and they had since passed away and now she had retired, was moving to Florida and the house being sold.

I took this picture today. The new homeowners are taking good care of the memorial for CPL Buckmaster.

Kim

CPL Buckmaster_Vandalia.jpg