Mystery bag? ID: WWI Squad Bag

M1Garandy

I've had this US marked bag forever. Any thoughts as to what it is for and what era it is from? Other than the light US mark, I can't find any other markings.

post-83117-0-27390500-1382820845.jpg

post-83117-0-25129600-1382820855.jpg

post-83117-0-88734400-1382820870.jpg

post-83117-0-10514300-1382820925.jpg

Yes, A Squad Surplus Bag, but it's use was a bit more formal. Adopted before WW1, each squad's spare clothing, shoes and a squad rifle cleaning kit were carried inside. A specific set of instuctions told exactly what was supposed to be carried. The bag accompanied the squad to the field as part of the company baggage on the company transport, either horse-drawn or motorized.

Quartermaster

I agree - it's a WW1 Squad Surplus Bag.

This bag was issued to every 8 man squad, another for the sergeants and an additional one for the cooks and musicians. The bags were labeled by regiment, battalion and squad without reference to platoon.

Every squad was to have a jointed rifle cleaning rod tied to the inside of the bag by a leather thong. Each soldier of the squad was to place the following list of items (see below) together and tie them with the spare shoelaces into a bundle, tie on a tag marked with his company number and then stack them in two layers of four bundles each in the bag. These surplus bags would be carried by the divisional supply train when the unit was in combat.

Per man: 1 pair breeches, 1 pair drawers, 1 olive drab shirt, 1 pair russett leather shoes, 2 pairs stockings, 1 pair extra shoe laces, & 1 undershirt.

Credit goes to Jonathan Gawne's article in The G.I. Journal Spring 1996.