Vietnam war 9th Infantry Division reenactment from Italy

Giovanni R.

Nice to see a 9th Division Vietnam re-enactment from Italy. My wife's second generation American Italian too.

You sure have the equipment. In Vietnam the infantry company I was with, as part of an FO team, had one jeep and one falling apart 3/4 ton truck that actually did finally fall apart and had to be hauled away to some junk collection point. The battalion motor pool had a few two and half ton trucks for all uses.

In the 9th, nobody in the infantry had a pup tent. Nobody would have been allowed to use them on ambush patrol if they did, and in base camps, the guys that weren't assigned to perimeter bunker duty during stand downs stayed in barracks or interior bunkers. In the field, poncho's and poncho liners made makeshift shelters in day hold positions.

My main suggestion would be to try not to look too green and too clean. Don't carry too much pack weight. The 9th worked in mud and water and didn't stay gone for more than a few days at a time to avoid immersion foot so they weren't loaded down like pack mules like the 101st when they were a month at a time in the Ashau.

Check out the photos in my site's album which were submitted by members of the 6/31st Infantry, 9th Division and you can see how it was back in the day.

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/main.php

Thanks for the precious input Niner Alpha!

For what concern the motor pool all the vehicles where gently borrowed by some local collectors so we take take advantage of the opportunity, so these will probably show up only for this event.

We'll manage to fix the shelters issue, we are also going to get a couple of hexagonal tents instead of the bigger (actually french army) tent too. As you can imagine we have no opportunity to build some real bunkers or barracks in most events.

Thanks to POPPO too!

Great !!

Mi piace molto tutti vostro fotografia !!

One thing. The bipod on the M60 is on the wrong side !!

From France, near the italian border

Cpl Harlan

DeltaRecon226

I really like it! As Niner Alpha mentioned, lose most of the webbing, it will bog you down. I cannot say this with absolute certainty, as I am not a Veteran of the Vietnam Conflict, but I would assume that the troops would take bandoliers instead of M56, and the packs would be mounted at the top of the frames.

Great !!

Mi piace molto tutti vostro fotografia !!

One thing. The bipod on the M60 is on the wrong side !!

From France, near the italian border

Cpl Harlan

Thanks! For the bipod someone already point it out, of course we will fix it! :P

As you are so near why don't you join us in some events? We would be glad to cooperate with foreign reenactors. ;)

I really like it! As Niner Alpha mentioned, lose most of the webbing, it will bog you down. I cannot say this with absolute certainty, as I am not a Veteran of the Vietnam Conflict, but I would assume that the troops would take bandoliers instead of M56, and the packs would be mounted at the top of the frames.

Thanks, Niner Alpha and his comrades are giving us a lot of interesting advices and the next time we would look even better!

Great shots.

I'm curious, was this in someone's back yard? It doesn't look a like a public event. I was just wondering as sometimes, the best events are when you just get some friends together and set up just because you want to...

Thanks, that was actually a little public event with an exposition of military vehicles, other reenactment groups from other periods and... Some good food too!

1377148_405827439545714_506054982_n.jpg

600356_405827472879044_2085487613_n.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...