Sr. Baloon Pilot Wing/Snowflake Back

Scott C.

Saw this one advertised for sale - opinions? Snowflake/sterling, 180 pin, no drop-in catch... think.gif My intuition says these aren't right - the reverse of the star and upper shoulders looks to have signs of casting (These are the only photos provided)

Thanks!

post-2884-1209264119.jpg

They actually look ok from what I can see. They are similar to my pre-WWII amcraft snowflake pattern pilot, senior pilot, and command pilot wings. This pattern also comes in the aircraft observer and I have seen the balloon series in other collections as well. I also have the airship wing with the snowflake pattern on back but in a different wing pattern.

Of course, its hard to tell if they are cast or not from the picture (the should be die struck), but other than that, nothing jumps out at me. BTW, all my wings open up to 180 degrees in this pattern.

Patrick

post-1519-1209265190.jpg

post-1519-1209265204.jpg

I agree with Patrick on this one as well. The snowflake pattern looks diestruck from the photo's and it looks to be the proper dimensions as well(Garcia Aviation has been making reproductions with the snowflake pattern but it is a slightly larger dimension than the original AMCRAFT).

Gary

Thanks gents. Were snowflakes made in sterling? I have one or two snowflake Amcrafts and neither are marked sterling, and seem to be to light to be sterling. These are being offered at Manion's, so yes, they can be returned - minus the commission and S&H...

Thanks gents. Were snowflakes made in sterling? I have one or two snowflake Amcrafts and neither are marked sterling, and seem to be to light to be sterling. These are being offered at Manion's, so yes, they can be returned - minus the commission and S&H...

Yes, I have seen good snowflake patterns in sterling.

Patrick