What Time Period is the USMC Utility Cover?

checkit

Thanks Bruce - I wanted to get a fresh opinion based just on the hat, without clouding the issue, so did not mention that it came from the estate of a US Navy Seabee, Circa 1965-1970.

Do the pin holes indicate that he wore a Navy CPO hat badge over the EGA? (There were plenty of them in the estate)

If I recall there is some variance in the number of stitched lines on the brim. The older covers had more lines. I don't think its unreasonable to think those holes could have been from a CPO badge. If you have one, you could see how closely the pins line up.

I think the number of lines on the brim only applies to the HBT covers, not the cotton sateens.

Here's a thread with pictures of most USMC utility covers from over the years:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=633

Hello Bob - Sounds like a great thread, but I am not allowed to view it for some reason.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that outstanding and educational thread. The stitching I was referring to is the number of rows of semi circular stitching on the covers brim. In photo #10, the cover from the 1960's, there are 7 rows of this stitching. In photo #11, the cover from the 1973 contract, there are only 5 rows of this stitching. I think I might not have the proper nomenclature for the stitching or its location. I thought I was have a senior moment until I saw those pictures. Thank again.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that outstanding and educational thread. The stitching I was referring to is the number of rows of semi circular stitching on the covers brim. In photo #10, the cover from the 1960's, there are 7 rows of this stitching. In photo #11, the cover from the 1973 contract, there are only 5 rows of this stitching. I think I might not have the proper nomenclature for the stitching or its location. I thought I was have a senior moment until I saw those pictures. Thank again.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Thanks - I recalled that kind of thing from the HBT covers, but not from the cotton sateen version.

SeaBees, UDT, SEALs, Boat Support Units, Cargo Handlers and a few other USN units wore that utility cap until the Woodland Camo became the issue uniform in 1981. So from the 60's until 1981 that was the uniform cover of several Navy units.