"History of Marine Corps Aviation in World War II"

Chris_B

Last month, I wanted a good book on USMC aerial operations in WWII

Turns out, this book "History of Marine Corps Aviation in World War II", is THE source to get. And it's long out of print. I discovered the world of used book sales. Got this off of Barnes and Noble's used books:

inscribe.jpg

That's a copy of "History of Marine Corps Aviation in World War II" that I got for under 60 dollars. Very good condition, but no dust jacket. The inscription reads:

"For my friend, General Graves B Erskine in memory of many a good encounter - even at Iwo - in World War II

Bob Sherrod

13 May 1970"

Robert Sherrod is the author (and was a war correspondent), and Graves B. Erskine commanded the 3rd Marines at Iwo Jima! So I have General Erskine's inscribed copy! I have no notion how it came to be up for sale as a relatively inexpensive used book, but I'm thrilled to have it

The book itself is a very detailed look at USMC air operations in WWII, starting well before the second world war. if you'd like to see how all the little bits of USMC aviation fits together in WWII, this is the book to have. The author goes well beyond a simple report of who what when and where and provides a detailed narrative far beyond unit histories and war diaries

If I recall correctly, that book actually lists all of the units and MAGs, along with service data. If so, that is one good book!!

-Ski

• 4 months later...

I checked out Amazon.com and was able to get the book off the marketplace for a paltry $10 including shipping! I think this book is just awesome if you need to know what the USMC flyers did in WWII. The extensive unit information is invaluable! You just don't find books like this anymore.

-Ski

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...