WO Customs & Border Protection officer

mikeb

I recently bought some warrant officer items on eBay. Included were two WO1 collar bars and two shoulder marks. The bars on the shoulder marks look Navy, but I was under the impression Navy WO shoulder marks carried a broken gold stripe and a corps device. These have a rank bar and a thin silver stripe at the base. The photo shows the said mark plus a USAF WO on the right. Any ideas?

post-4431-0-88369300-1382731221.jpg

Why do these agencies do things like this.Dont they realize it drives collectors crazy? I think a collector or collectors should be on insignia advisory boards. LOL!

I was watching a TV show just yesterday about border agents busting dope runners and there were several scenes that showed agetns in uniform wearing these types of epaulet ranks. Yep, this sure muddies the water for militaria collectors.

I was watching a TV show just yesterday about border agents busting dope runners and there were several scenes that showed agetns in uniform wearing these types of epaulet ranks. Yep, this sure muddies the water for militaria collectors.

I came back from a cruise a week ago and went thru customs.I noticed the boards but didn't even pay attention.I've seen them at the airports too.Never crossed my find.

• 10 months later...

Greetings & Salutations! When we crossed back into the U.S.A. after a day in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, we saw most of the U.S. Border Agents wore what I thought almost looked like warrant officer slide on ranks, but knowing the U.S. Navy does not used WO1, only CWO-2 through CWO-5 and the USN had a gold stripe, not a silver stripe. All through the history of uniforms and insignia, some law enforcement agencies wore rank straps like the U.S. Army and some fraternal organizations did likewise. There is even a youth group of Scouts who have adult scout master who were a gold major's oakleaf with blue enamel edged in gold and captain and lieutenant bars enameled blue atop those rank insignia. Best to get books that show what the U.S. Armed Forces wear in insignia badges. Medals of America publishes a magazine of military insignia, medals, ribbons, etc., you can write them and ask for a copy to be sent to you. Was surprised to see a slip on rank for USAF warrant officer as I though they discontinued it is 1972, before slip on ranks? Lee, what is the cut off date for Air Force warrants and when did they start wearing slide on ranks? Thanks, Lee! Respectfully, Herbert Booker in Florida