Thompson... Assistance required.

Kilroy56

Robert...I have an identical one. Have some sympathy with we Europeans. It's deactivated or nothing! Mine is in virtually mint condition and can do everything...bar fire! :(

It's an earlier model. It's the M1, not the M1A1. If original the bolt should have a floating firing pin in it. That when fired it has a nub on the front that hits the front of the receiver and that causes the firing pin to move forward and hit the striker.

The later M1A1 had a fixed firing pin bolt because it was cheaper and easier to manufacture, it had a reinforcing bolt in the stock so the stock wouldn't break in that area. Also later ones were M1A1. Now some M1's were later stamped A1 after the M1 during rebuild.

Most Thompsons that went overseas were marked US. Property. The ones used by our military were not.

Now your's has the M1A1 winged sight. The earlier M1's had a very simple L shaped sight with no wings. Many times if dropped it would hurt the sights, so that is why the wings were created. I think that change came around the 50,000 serial number range, but I can't remember for sure.

Over here if that M1 was registered as a class III machine gun. It would be worth $25-30,000 USD. Crazy huh?

Over in the states you can't get the receiver as that is the illegal part, but we have the rest of the parts. I think with you guys in Europe, you have to weld up the bolt and then cut lighting cuts in the barrel.

Too bad, I have a lot of new bolts, and new barrels. But you guys can't get that stuff over there, and I can't get receivers over here.

It's just funny how that is. :)

My decativated Tommy gun has a steel plug welded into the barrel and the barrel in turn is welded to the receiver. Otherwise it's as-is.

My decativated Tommy gun has a steel plug welded into the barrel and the barrel in turn is welded to the receiver. Otherwise it's as-is.

It would take me about 15 to 20 minutes to reactivate it. Cut the weld to the receiver/barrel. I have the tool to change the barrel on the Thompson, and I have a couple barrels.

And I have cases of .45 ammo and a range at my house. :) To bad either of our governments don't trust us.

It would take me about 15 to 20 minutes to reactivate it. Cut the weld to the receiver/barrel. I have the tool to change the barrel on the Thompson, and I have a couple barrels.

And I have cases of .45 ammo and a range at my house. :) To bad either of our governments don't trust us.

For sure! The bolt is very heavy and has a heck of a "kick" even when dry-fired!

Thank you for your replies gentlemen, will post more pictures tomorrow. This M1 is in mint condition. To my opinion it never fired! It 's not marked " property of US Govt " anywhere... Export? On another hand ,would it be possible to determine the year of manufacture?

BR,

Dominique

Thank you for your replies gentlemen, will post more pictures tomorrow. This M1 is in mint condition. To my opinion it never fired! It 's not marked " property of US Govt " anywhere... Export? On another hand ,would it be possible to determine the year of manufacture?

BR,

Dominique

Dominique,

It was almost certainly manufactured in 1943, but we don't have exact prooduction dates by serial number.

If you'd like to learn more about the Thompson, you should register at Machinegunboards.com.

Thanks!

David Albert

[email protected]

Johan Willaert

Over in the states you can't get the receiver as that is the illegal part, but we have the rest of the parts. I think with you guys in Europe, you have to weld up the bolt and then cut lighting cuts in the barrel.

Too bad, I have a lot of new bolts, and new barrels. But you guys can't get that stuff over there, and I can't get receivers over here.

It's just funny how that is. :)

It's not funny and plain untrue...

I have several live full-auto firing TSMG, fully licensed... Original receivers and all....

Plus live firing TSMG cost around 1000USd over here...

People tend to think Europeans in general cannot own live firing guns, but in fact a lot is legally possible over here....

Back to the Original post, the bolt should be bright metal finish on the M1 too...

Back to the Original post, the bolt should be bright metal finish on the M1 too.

Do you mean it's not original to the gun?

You may find a great deal of disagreement from the Thompson collecting community with that statement.

Most Thompsons that went overseas were marked US. Property. The ones used by our military were not.

Shall we read it the other way round?

Dominique

You may find a great deal of disagreement from the Thompson collecting community with that statement.

Actually hopefully Dalbert will weigh in on that. Dalbert is the absolute expert on the Thompson.

By the way it seems that the OP's looks like it may have a couple proof marks under the ejection port in the one pic.

Is it an arrow in a circle? If it is a Canadian proof mark. Or it could be English proof markings as well.