USN Enlisted Uniform Unit Identification Marks (UIMs)

dpcsdan

U.S. Navy Unit Identification Marks

Daniel D. Smith, SCPO, USNR(Ret)

Unit Identification Marks (UIMs) originally stem from the unit name cap ribbon (Tally), which was a mark of distinction for seagoing personnel. UIMs have also been referred to as USN shoulder tabs, shoulder flashes, rockers and arcs.

A number of ships were selected to test wear the UIM during 1956. Known test ships include the USS Stark County (LST-1134), and the USS O Bannon, both home ported in Pearl Harbor. Also, the USS Boxer and the USS Wasp were possible test ships. Also tested, but not implemented, was a black on white version of the UIM to be worn on white uniforms. The white on navy blue UIMs were worn on both white and blue jumpers.

Officially approved for wear by the Secretary of the Navy on 14 March 1957, UIMs were authorized for operating forces personnel, First Class Petty Officers and below and worn until the introduction of the service dress blue coat and tie style uniform in 1973.

While UIMs were not utilized from 1973-1980, UIMs were reintroduced with the return to the Navy Dress Blue jumper style uniform in 1981. The new uniforms were produced in black materials, not in “Navy Blue.”

The stated primary objectives of wearing UIMs were to provide public recognition as members of the Operating Forces and enhance unit pride.

post-769-0-95307000-1382638049.jpg

post-769-0-68928200-1382638058.jpg

post-769-0-20903000-1382638071.jpg

post-769-0-33887700-1382638092.jpg

post-769-0-38261800-1382638207.jpg

• 7 years later...

I know of only two collectors of UIMs. Some call them uniform "rockers," or "shoulder tabs."

Anyone on here?

Unit Identification Marks (UIMs) originally stem from the unit name cap ribbon (Tally), which was a mark of distinction for seagoing personnel. UIMs have also been referred to as shoulder tabs, shoulder flashes, rockers and arcs.

A number of ships were selected to test wear the UIM during 1956. Known test ships include the USS Stark County (LST-1134), and the USS O Bannon, both home ported in Pearl Harbor. Also, the USS Boxer and the USS Wasp were possible test ships. Also tested, but not implemented, was a black on white version of the UIM to be worn on white uniforms. The white on navy blue UIMs were worn on both white and blue jumpers.

Officially approved for wear by the Secretary of the Navy on 14 March 1957, UIMs were authorized for operating forces personnel, First Class Petty Officers and below and worn until the introduction of the service dress blue coat and tie style uniform in 1973.

While UIMs were not utilized from 1973-1979, UIMs were reintroduced with the return to the Navy Dress Blue jumper style uniform in 1980. The new uniforms were produced in black materials, not in “Navy Blue.”

The stated primary objectives of wearing UIMs were to provide public recognition as members of the Operating Forces and enhance unit pride.

Salvage Sailor
On 10/30/2013 at 12:56 PM, dpcsdan said:

Anyone else seen the black on white test UIMs?

Aloha Dan,

Missed this one the first time around.  I have a few but this is the only photo in my files.

USS EDENTON (ATS-1) 

1543726503_USSEdentonATS-1WhiteRocker.jpg.f34297acb6ac5f771563eb77b0809fa2.jpg

Salvage Sailor
1 hour ago, dpcsdan said:

I know of only two collectors of UIMs. Some call them uniform "rockers," or "shoulder tabs."

Anyone on here?

Ahoy Dan,

I have hundreds of them that I've picked up to supplement my patch collection along with ships' photos, welcome aboard/Comm/Decom, etc.  They're primarily ship hulls but also Shore, NAVAIR, Command, Staff, and odd balls.  I also specifically seek out error tabs (or rockers, UIM's if you prefer)

787425917_Rockers03.jpg.400b7a9b9fe1d85e7941464ad99abad4.jpg

There is a big time collector of these and I believe he shared this image with me. He also sold me a few "white, test UIMs" about 15 years ago.

When I find my notes, I'll share his name.

I also bought 20-30 from the old Don Thompson collection (from his son) about 15 years ago.

white_tabs.jpg