"Flight Gear 1942-45" by Mathieu Bianchi (Histoire & Collections)

Blue Leader

Doesnt it just !!! mind you i was looking at the pictures thinking " i want one of those and ooo i have one like that !! and wowwwwww look at that !!"

as for me having a bit of USAAF gear ? you still trump me there Ian !!! ;)

LB

I think the last major publication to tackle this subject was Jon Maguire's "Gear Up", a book which I bought at the time, and one which I know you have too. This new H&C publication takes a different approach and its layout benefits from subsequent developments in digital printing technology.

Yes Ian , this book seems to have no flaws in its approach to the subject !! , and im sure ,you would second the fact ,that this would be a great publication, from a newcomer to an experienced collector

LB

I just got a review copy of this. It is exactly what it looks like, and is beautiful as per most H+C books. Think of it as the AAF equivalent of the GI collector's Guide. I'm not an AAF guy, but I found of lot of really cool stuff that I either had not known about, or had passed through my hands at some point. So even though I do not collect AAF, I would buy it as it's a good reference for a lot of aviation stuff that I see, but don't know much about.

So yeah, If you only have one AAF book, I think this may be the one. Caps, gloves, escape maps, thermos bottles, Gibson girl radios, all kinds of fun stuff.

Oh, and the photos shown here of the book do NOT do it justice. Some really good color reproduction.

Has anyone in America received a copy yet? I pre-odered my copy several weeks ago and can barely stand to wait much longer!! The book looks absolutely fantastic and is getting great reviews.

It's not published in Europe until this week. I, and the other guys were fortunate enough to receive advance copies direct from France. You might just have to wait a little longer for additional English language editions to cross the pond? Here's the publisher's website.

http://www.histoireetcollections.com

http://livres.histoireetcollections.com/publication/3159/aviateurs-americains-en-europe-1942-1945.html

Johan Willaert

Knowing that I would have other opportunities to get a copy, I went for other items first and by the time I got to my third tour of the show all copies were gone...

Joe im the size of a model figure want me to model the gear !!!! :lol:

seriously it looks a great book !! cant wait to get my grubby little paws on a copy !!

LB

Deal!

Well, provided you show up with the gear cause I ain't got none! :D

Joe

Received my copy this weekend and exceeds Gear Up IMO

I think I'm inclined to agree with you there. "Gear Up" was/is a great book...but this one takes things a step further by using the original QM catalog as its template...plus the advances in digital printing technology which make its layout possible.

It has nothing to do with technology or layout, compare the overall coverage especially parachutes. A much better reference guide for AAF collectors

It has nothing to do with technology or layout, compare the overall coverage especially parachutes. A much better reference guide for AAF collectors

Well then we'll have to agree to disagree in that respect. The overall production of the book is evidently superior, irrespective of its content as compared with "Gear Up".

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up for anyone here in the states that is interested in this book. Amazon is offering free shipping for the holidays and the book is only $35. I couldn't resist for that deal! If you have been waiting, it seems like a great time to order!

JD

It was on my list, too, but I know that my wife totally ignored the list entirely this year and bought what she thought I wanted. She often does this.

So, I'll be buying a copy for myself...

This was the first item on my Christmas list to my wife....

Well, didn't get it for Christmas because it was on back order and my wife didn't want to wait. Oh well, I'll get it for myself. She did get me the GI Collctor's Guide Volume 2 though. I think I keep her. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Picked a copy of this up from Amazon and its already been reduced in price which was surprise considering its not been released that long. I've had the book for about a month now and it's a superb reference on the subject. Whilst the Sweeting books and 'Gear up' have been been great guides this book has brought everything into the 21st century and the colour photographs of the clothing and equipment is second to none. It follows the great Histoire and Collections format and is well laid out and is a great companion volume with Gregory Pons's book on the 8th Heavy Bomber units book. Love the addition of Stock Numbers and manufacturers against the kit items and mix of original photographs, it really is worth every penny.

If I have one criticism then its the text about the British Pattern Flying boots and the comment about the 41' pattern modification where it states this did not appear in the RAF until 1945. This is incorrect, the 40' pattern boots were already being modified by the RAF before this was officially carried out and issued to aircrew from the manufacturers from .......1941 onwards.

It had already been recognised by aircrew that their boots would come off during bail out etc, the same problem AAF crews experienced later when using the A6's as we all know. 40' Pattern boots were popular among the early 8th AAF bomber crews as they were lighter than A6's and far easier to walk in until they started to modify the A6's in the same way as their British counterpart boot with the addition of the ankle strap and hence became the A6A. The book mentions this improvement didn't come in until August 45' at the factory unyet the boots were being modified on stations from 43' onwards by the clothing riggers and there is a photograph of aircrew wearing A6A's in 1944 on page 82 of the book. The A6A was'nt officially designated until August 45' so this is perhaps where the confusion arises over the actual issue/usage date they were used from, the factories started to modify them in 1944.

Sorry if this sounds picky, its not meant too, this is a great book and I know Mathieu started this thread so I'm sure he'll read this and think who's this idiot, my apologies Mathieu and thank you for a great book, I can't put it down.

Regards Dave