US NAVY HGU-47(V)4/P Flight Helmet

FTLewisBrat

Picked this helmet up at my local flea market and just finished putting the display together a few weeks ago. It was in rough shape when I bought it, the foam from the sizing pads had melted and left a black sticky residue all over everything. Thankfully, after several hours of work, it cleaned up well.

I googled the name on the helmet bag and found a guy with the same name whose company bio said he was a Naval Flight Officer in the 80’s. After much consideration I sent him an email with a description of the helmet. I asked if it was his, and if it was would he mind sharing some of its history. Within a few hours he sent me a terrific email verifying that it was indeed his helmet. The email included a detailed account of his service as a mission commander/tactical coordinator on a P-3c Orion, dates of service, and places he was stationed. He could not have been nicer.

I purchased the patch on-line, printed the photos, and made the name plate. Overall I think it turned out very nicely.

post-108940-0-76944500-1382631656.jpg

post-108940-0-76013100-1382631657.jpg

post-108940-0-78321500-1382631658.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar helmet. My uncle was a p3 Orion pilot serving from 1974-1994 and retired with the rank of Commander. I have the helmet and helmet bag with patches of many locations that he visited or was stationed during his career. Near the end of his career he was assigned to Vp-16 show crew, demonstrating the plane at various air shows. I actually got a chance to see his plane perform at one of these air shows. For those not familiar with the p3, it is basically a four engine turboprop airliner converted to perform anti-submarine warfare. It is enormous.

I plan to construct a similar display with my helmet. Especially to pay tribute to my uncle, who passed away from cancer last July. If anyone knows how I can identify the exact model of this helmet, and where I can purchase a new liner, please let me know. My liner has disintegrated and left the same black sticky residue as described above.

northcoastaero

Try flighthelmet.com and aviationhelmets.com for helmet parts. The helmet could be the APH-6 series or PRK-37/P shell assy. in the HGU-47(v)-4/P configuration. The APH-6 series were issued in sizes medium and large. The PRK-37/P sizes were medium, large, and

extra large. Also, take a look at medalsofamerica.com and planecrazyent.com for insignia and patches.

Bluemm -

Is it the actual helmet liner that you need, or, the sizing pads?

The inside of the helmet would have the white Styrofoam PRK-37/P shell assy. that northcoastaero was talking about, and, three self-adhesive sizing pads.

The melted black sticky substance that’s everywhere is probably the backing foam from the sizing pads and ear cups.

If it’s the sizing pads, I really haven’t found a good source for them. Granger does have self-adhesive flame resistant foam (sold by the foot) that is very close to the original foam used. It’s like $12.50 a foot by 48“ wide. I do have the outer layer of vinyl, from the three sizing pads used for the helmet, that just need the foam backing glued on. If you don’t have yours let me know, I can trace the correct pattern of each and sent you a copy.