Hawley liners vs. General Fibre liners

Red_Nek

frontrowjoe

Generals are Very Very hard to find the last one I saw some S***head on Ebay made into a para troop liner and then admitted that he made it and was proud of his work thumbdown.gif

The Peter Oosterman book says only 3% of fiber liners were made by General Fiber (about 120,000) with most of those being cotton webbed. I'd say they're pretty rare. I got mine by accident two miles from my home... It's rough but the only one I'll ever own.

post-1095-1209339234.jpg

post-1095-1209339241.jpg

post-1095-1209339248.jpg

I have a real beautiful one along with a minty m1 fix bail. Alas, my computer with all the pics got wipped out by a storm and so I must wait until I can get you some pics.

Theorywolf

My thanks to all who have replied. I have a General-fibre maked paper liner, but it is only marked with the "G". I need to get some pics to post, but I believe that it is an earlier style liner. I was told by my friend that they were fairly scarce and could be sold around $600. I don't plan on selling mine, just yet, but I just needed to put everything into perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of new to M1 helmet collecting......but, how can I tell if I have a Hawley or a General? My liner is stamped Liner-Fibre-M1. Do I need a G to be a true General? Many thanks....Tom.

I'm kind of new to M1 helmet collecting......but, how can I tell if I have a Hawley or a General? My liner is stamped Liner-Fibre-M1. Do I need a G to be a true General? Many thanks....Tom.

oh i wish i was in your boots with that problem lol :lol:

wildcat123

Both Hawley and General Fiber can be stamped "Liner Fibre M1." The G is what makes it a General Fibre liner. From what I've read (and seen on my helmet), that G can be anywhere on the liner so look closely.