10/23 will be like any other day. But not for Marines.

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

Posted here on behalf of the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation;

On this day, thirty years ago, a truck pulled up to the U.S. Marine Corps Barracks in Beirut. Seconds later, the suicide bomber inside detonated explosives equivalent to 12,000 pounds of TNT — collapsing the building and crushing the people inside.

220 Marines died that day, along with 21 other service men and women, and civilians — making the Beirut Barracks bombing the deadliest single day for our Marine Corps since Iwo Jima. Yet, I bet if you asked most Americans, many of them wouldn’t even know about this tragedy. So we must do our part to show that this terrible attack has not faded from our memories.Will you do your part by writing a message of remembrance today? http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=34609733&msgid=392632&act=P7KH&c=434489&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marineheritage.org%2FMessage_Beirut_Remembrance.asp

Your note will send a clear sign to Marines who served in Beirut that you remember their brave stories this Wednesday — and every day.At a time when so many in our country are disconnected from the military, your words will let Marines and their families know that their service and sacrifice have not been taken for granted. And that will mean so much.So please, send a message of support today. It'll only take a few seconds — but will mean a great deal to a fellow Marine. Semper Fidelis,

Lieutenant General Robert R. Blackman, Jr., USMC (Ret)
President & CEO
Marine Corps Heritage Foundation

We should live every day like it's memorial day but there are some days that stand out, and this certainly qualifies. I reenlisted at the Beirut Memorial at Camp Lejeune in 1995 while I was fortunate enough to serve under a crusty MSgt who was there on that fateful day in 1983. After the renlistment ceremony, we went to celebrate with lunch and beers (when you could still do that) and he shared some firsthand accounts of the bombing and aftermath. It will remain an enduring memory.

God bless those lost. So long as we remember they will always live.

Semper Fidelis

Hessian

A moment of silence will be included in our morning Safety Briefing here at the United States Army Sergeants Major Academy.

We currently have 6 Senior Marine NCO's attending the academy.

Leigh

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I remember when this happened, I was at Fort Bragg and we were shocked and pissed off. Many people felt helpless, however we were deployed to the island of Grenada two days later and got to get our aggressions out on the Cubans.

With the memory of our fallen Marines on our hearts we deployed. And of course today most people will never know that this is the 30th anniversary of the operation urgent fury.

May they rest in peace as well.

Rock

This day is very vivid in my memory, it was a sunday. I spent the day in Paris and when I went home and open the door I found my mom and my aunt in tears. I immediatly thought that something happened to my grand-parents but they said no. The paras of the 1er RCP have been attacked and 58 of them were dead. In Indochina, the 1er RCP was the regiment of their brothers, my uncles. This regiment has always been dear to their heart.

The news said the US Marines have been also attacked and suffered way more losses.

I remember the images of the detroyed buildings at the TV.

A very sad memory.

I remember that day very clearly. A fellow squadron member lost his brother and brother inlaw that day. Thank you Andrei for reminding us the the US was not alone.