WWI Doughboy display, help needed

S1991

@Solcarlus, thanks for the photo's it sure did give me a idea on how I could do my display. Will wait untill I revieve my Unit Histories of two WWI YD unitd and maybe some good photo's are in there.

@talontree14, thanks for the reply however many people say the Doughboys used a Springfield and would fit better for a front display? I will go with the historical correct items and display.

Another thing to consider is that a 26th Division doughboy would most likely have worn a British-made Mark I helmet. An m1917 helmet would probably be OK for the Meuse-Argonne period.

Thanks aef1917, will post a photograph of a period photo if Iwould want to go from there.

Perhaps some members here can ID what is being worn.

@talontree14, thanks for the reply however many people say the Doughboys used a Springfield and would fit better for a front display? I will go with the historical correct items and display.

It really depends on what unit and what time frame. The best thing is to study actual period photos.

Some units had M1903s, some had M1917s. Both saw frontline service in the AEF.

It really depends on what unit and what time frame. The best thing is to study actual period photos.

Some units had M1903s, some had M1917s. Both saw frontline service in the AEF.

Good point. From what I have researched, I know the 36th and I believ the 92nd used m1917s primarily. Sgt York used a m1917 during the action that got him the medal of honor.

Good point. From what I have researched, I know the 36th and I believ the 92nd used m1917s primarily. Sgt York used a m1917 during the action that got him the medal of honor.

True, and there is a good photo of the grave of one of the men killed during the action showing the M1917 rifle and bayonet on the grave.

RC

If you really want to throw a wrench into the argument you could have a very early display with troops equipped with krag rifles! Or troops detached to french And british divisions using their weapons, Enfields and lebels. That's why I love this era, so much variety! It was said by another member on another thread, the personal variety in uniforms, equipment, etc, makes the Great War so interesting!

True, but the Krags were issued to engineers. And not every one of those early units had Krags. ;) WWI was certainly a war of whatever worked, and sometimes didn't.

Bonjour Rusty.

Sorry, I am not sure I understand?

I was of humor. In doubt for the award of M1903 or M1917, I proposed the assignment of the sho-sho M1918. But all units do not have.

solcarlus.

"Je faisais de l'humour.Dans le doute pour l'attribution du M1903 ou du M1917, je proposai l'attribution du sho-sho M1918. Mais toutes les unités ne l'ont pas eu."

Bonjour Rusty.

I was of humor. In doubt for the award of M1903 or M1917, I proposed the assignment of the sho-sho M1918. But all units do not have.

solcarlus.

"Je faisais de l'humour.Dans le doute pour l'attribution du M1903 ou du M1917, je proposai l'attribution du sho-sho M1918. Mais toutes les unités ne l'ont pas eu."

I understand now, and it is a funny joke. :lol:

RC

On the topic of patches in YD, would a handmade patch be acceptable for an early/mid war impression/display? One of my M1917 tunics is named to a YD vet, with one his handmade patches.

ZQC3Gk5l.jpg?3

• 9 years later...
Your local M1 Garand
On 10/26/2013 at 12:23 PM, BriansBricks said:

On the topic of patches in YD, would a handmade patch be acceptable for an early/mid war impression/display? One of my M1917 tunics is named to a YD vet, with one his handmade patches.

ZQC3Gk5l.jpg?3

Is the display still up?