Battle of Cobleskill -1778 - Jacob Warner Cemetery

bbraun

My nephew's Eagle Scout project was to rehabilitate a RW Cemetery in Warnerville NY. This is on I-88 between Albany and Binghamton. It is adjacent to the site of the Battle of Cobleskill (1778). The project included a new VA headstone for George Warner.

During the battle, George Warner's house was burned by Tories and Indians with 5 Continental soldiers inside. George was in the Militia, a Committee member & was eventually taken captive and held in Canada until the end of the war.

The five KIA provided cover while the remainder of the Continentals and Militia retreated to the Old Stone Fort in Schoharie. The location of the graves of those KIA are unknown but are in this general vicinity.

There is some more information on this site at: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nyschoha/cemwarn2.html

The site is just off the Warnerville exit of I-88. If you are ever driving this stretch of highway, it is worth a visit.

WarnerCemeteryArticle.pdf

That was enjoyable to read and to view the project photos! Your nephew exceeded the scope of the project (IMO) and made the grounds quite beautiful for this old Revolutionary! He was clearly raised right and understands that these soldiers and militia should never be forgotten.

Please pass along my gratitude to him for his efforts!

Ah Upstate, beautiful, love going upstate. An excellent job there, I like the photo of the old timer hauling the rail :) he seems quite contented lending a hand.