Unknown strap - anyone know what this is?

mrhell

Picked this up the other day, any idea what kind of strap this is and for what? WWI calvary? I see no markings anywhere. Total length is 85", width is 1-15/16". Thanks in advance for any information.

DSC01473_zps9d14a778.jpg

DSC01474_zpsbf7b3735.jpg

DSC01475_zpsb73021e9.jpg

That's the carry strap for the M1917A1 Browning machinegun or it's ammo chests. If you cut the stitches and remove the buckle, you'll find the maker and date mark is folded inside. The buckle isn't supposed to be sewn down like it is on your strap.

Well that explains that. I was wondering why a metal end was put on the buckle side since it was sewn. Real reluctant to cut the stitches, but it's sewn crooked anyway and besides I trust your expertise. Thanks for the feedback.

It's the M1935 officers bed roll strap 85" iches long also used to tie down equipment (mostly to the racks on jeeps, tanks, half-tracks, trucks and motorcycles)

It's the M1935 officers bed roll strap 85" iches long also used to tie down equipment (mostly to the racks on jeeps, tanks, half-tracks, trucks and motorcycles)

Sorry but that is incorrect though it looks similar to the bed roll strap it is not, Robin is correct in the identification.

A seven foot strap to carry a ammo chest or M1917A1? it had other uses as the officers bed rolls strap? If go on ebay and look up m1935 bed roll strap this looks just like the many they sell their. The one seller called out 92" inches for length pre strap on the one set.

OldAbeWLA

Here's a picture out of the QM supply catalog of the Machinegun sling.

MVC-001S.JPG

Here's an example complete with both buckles and hooks.

MVC-002S.JPG

And compared to a M1935 bed roll strap which is narrower. Ebay is hardly the last word compared to actual research.

MVC-003S.JPG

I see were your comming from robinb. The end is sewn under on the buckle and this is what was throwing me off !! like you said in the early thread this was done to it . It's been modified.

oldAbeWLA