Pilot Wings - real or junk?

Old Marine

I had these wings lying around for a while. They are both unmarked and clutch back. The top wing is a solid piece with a flat back. The bottom wing is also clutch back and is stamped. Neither wing has any kind of maker's mark.

What do you wing guys think of these? Are these real or just copies? One thing I have learned on this forum is to not write off anything as junk until I run it past you guys.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and comments

Dennis

post-2843-0-09016000-1382369535.jpg

Hi Old Marine,

I may be wrong, but I think your wings are from 1960's or 1970's, so Vietnam War era (but hard to say from photos!).

I saw so far many wings with AMCRAFT style pattern but without hallmark, I think they are all post-WWII (and I suppose they were not made by AMCRAFT).

Here you have a pair of 1960's AMCRAFT-like Pilot wings:

post-104661-0-37484000-1382480713.jpg

You're welcome Old Marine.

From what I can see from these photos, I suppose your wings are vintage,

but I don't know if they are issued wings. Hard to say without having them in hands: larger and better detailed photos could aid!

Thank for all the info guys. The stamped set looks pretty cheap and I think WP is correct. The other set is solid and flat back with a distinctive cross hatch pattern. Here are some close up of the flat backed wings.

post-2843-0-75785400-1382577233.jpg

This set is thick and pretty heavy as compared to the stamped set. The wing is about 1/8 inch thick. How do you think these were made?

post-2843-0-83628300-1382577433.jpg

I think the solid back ones are lead. Can you bend it easily and scratch it lightly with a finger nail, then it's lead.

I have a pair very similiar with the same angle pattern finish. I belive the concenus was a 70s piece, no idea as to maker.

another shot of the back of the stamped wings. Compared to other WWII wings I have these look pretty bad, so I think they are just as WP said, repros.

post-2843-0-55925700-1382577648.jpg

Hi TRR,

No I don't think it's lead, it's a pretty hard metal. I have some of those post war, souvenir pot metal and lead pins and this is definitly not that type of material.

Hi TRR,

No I don't think it's lead, it's a pretty hard metal. I have some of those post war, souvenir pot metal and lead pins and this is definitly not that type of material.

Interesting, appears very similiar. I would still lean towards that era/type for it. Just has that look and style to me.

Do you have a jeweler/pawn shop with a metal testing gun nearby? The better ones will give you a reading of what metals and what % make it up.

another shot of the back of the stamped wings. Compared to other WWII wings I have these look pretty bad, so I think they are just as WP said, repros.

Hi Old Marine,

from this large photo is clear that the hollow wing is a recent replica; sorry for the wrong identification I gave you.

In the other hand, the solid back wings are pretty interesting: details are very nice, probably not issued wings but a very good theatre made (UK? Germany?).