B-17 gunner

NCM1RIFLE82

Johnny Signor

The photo in post #3 is one of a young gunner who went in under age and was later found out and discharged , I don't recall his name , but he got in some missions before they found out , I think he was 14 or 16 ....................

Yes Johnny Sgt DeSales Glover......flew with the 458th BG out of what is now Norwich Airport during WW2 completed 6 missions including one to Big B..making him eligeable for the air medal...but confided to his crew he was actually only 16 and therefore too young to fly...

Regards

Lloyd

Johnny Signor

Yes Johnny Sgt DeSales Glover......flew with the 458th BG out of what is now Norwich Airport during WW2 completed 6 missions including one to Big B..making him eligeable for the air medal...but confided to his crew he was actually only 16 and therefore too young to fly...

Regards

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd, I knew he was underage but didn't recall how old , also we have his name/unit now too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Technically it is a photograph in a B24 but it is still a cool gunners photo. I like that the guy in the back has a blue bunny on and just a flak vest over it with no gloves, totally owns that 50 cal.

post-112555-0-45155600-1382412185.jpg

The problem with a lot of 'action' shots of gunners is that many were taken on the ground or on training flights. Rarely would an Army photographer or war correspondent take photos of gunners on an actual mission...

Lee is absolutely right. For example...the one just above his post is from of an often reproduced series of AAF pics. No gloves, goggles or oxygen mask etc. etc @ 30,000 ft? I don't think so!

I dunno Sabre... I think these guys were just a lot harder than we are today. As I understand it, 70 years ago people were a lot less susceptible to oxygen depravations and frostbite...... right....right....??

I dunno Sabre... I think these guys were just a lot harder than we are today. As I understand it, 70 years ago people were a lot less susceptible to oxygen depravations and frostbite...... right....right....??

That explains why there are so many WW2 vets with no fingers!!

No Matt same Bomb Group...306th out of Thurleigh but its S/Sgt Robert Taylor 369th Squadron.

Regards

Lloyd

Sorry guys i was getting confused with the waist gunner in full regailia and dark goggles...yes that is Maynard Smith

its my age..:-)