1920 Qualified Pilot Observer Wing

cwnorma

Fellow Wing-nuts,

Does anyone know if NS Meyer made a re-strike of this Wing?

Last weekend, I turned my nose up at one marked "N.S. Meyer" and "Sterling" (incised) with a 180 degree pin, and a drop in catch.

I just don't know enough about the Meyer restrikes.

1) Wouldn't an N.S. Meyer wing made in 1920 have a thick pin?

2) Shouldn't it have had a 90 degree hinge?

3) Did Meyer even make this wing?

4) If so, does anyone have a picture of an original Meyer made one?

Thanks!

Chris

Hello Chris,

Yes the Meyer restrikes are the most common on the market. I have no picture of a N.S Meyer.

Gary

Patrick,

Thanks! Posting these auction pictures for education and posterity.

post-594-1209236087.jpg

post-594-1209236112.jpg

Source: Ebay Auction 330222596944

Item: 1920 Pilot-Observer Wing

Auction: ebay

Realized Price: $1225.00

Date: 31 March 2008

It certainly may be from the original die but it is a 180 degree pin. Also the hallmarks are stamped instead of raised. I would say 1970's restrike.

Gary

It certainly may be from the original die but it is a 180 degree pin. Also the hallmarks are stamped instead of raised. I would say 1970's restrike.

Gary

Gary,

This is why these things scare the Pajeebus out of me!

Chris

Hello Gary

This isnt a NS Meyers restrike wing. This is one of the real ones, manufactured from the official dies--not by NS Meyers at all. This is the way these wings were hallmarked--John Cooper posted one of his recent treasures on another thread that is marked the same way. The 180 degree rule has nothing to do with this wing.

On the other hand, you are correct that most of the NS Meyers restrikes HAD the 180 degree pin. I have recently been seeing a whole new generation of Meyer restrikes with the correct pin...argh!

Patrick.

Hi Guy's,

First an apology to Wings And Patches is in order, I was in the midst of a pithy(and I was hoping it to be funny) response to the posted wing that was going to end in "but this is a textbook wing" but I got called away(in fact I only got back about 15 minutes ago and am unwinding) up to Reno where a seismic detector had gone tango uniform and the guys up there knew I knew how to fix them. Anyway my wife shut down my computer for me and before she did that she added the period and signed my name and sent the reply thinking I was done.

So that is how it happened, the why is we have had a earthquake swarm that started in February and has been gaining in intensity and frequency culminating last night in a 4.7 magnitude quake that did way more damage than it should have. There are 10 mobile seismic units that have been moved up to moniter what is going on in great detail and having the one go out was pretty bad. That's why they called me. It's back up and running and we are betting on whether we are going to get a big quake or not. I have my breakables all padded and stored away and we are bracing for a doozy should it come. We will know in the next ten days or so if it's going to happen.

Cheers

Gary

Yes it is, actually I am a little surprised it didn't go for more. This was one of those unquestionable wings that you see maybe once every ten years or so(provided you are in the right place that is) if you are lucky.

Gary

That pair sold for $1,225.00! I don't know much about these early wings....even less about Observer wing values. Is this a normal price for this sort of wing?

Hah! I wish! All I can do is help moniter things so that maybe hopefully, someday we can say...uhhh people there is going to be a "big one" tomorrow at 7pm...SO GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!

Cheers

Gary

You go Gary! Keepin us safe from the tremblors!