Small Hometown Museum in Wisconsin

Mitch

Hi All,

I had a chance to work in the military area of my hometown museum in Seymour , WI, population 2200 + Here are some pictures of the final outcome. Everything in this museum has been donated by poeple in town. All the militaria and uniforms are from town poeple that served in the Armed Services from the Civil war to present. Also check out the collection area here as I dug out some items to display for the month of November.

Regards, Mitch

post-592-0-68262800-1382303077.jpg

Not a bad little collection, and all the better if it all has a hometown connection.

I especially like what appears to be a flight nurse uniform. I have not seen one of those before.

Mitch, where in Seymour is this located in correlation to the exit for the N.E.W. Zoo coming off Hwy 41? I'm up in the area frequently and would love to stop by.

I agree its a outstanding display of local military history spanning the wars of American veterans.

I just hope nothing walks off as it seems there is a lot openly displayed items.A good friend displayed his items amd lost a couple sets of wings in the process.

Thanks Gil for the comment. Yes, there are a couple nice female uniforms on display. I also have not seen many WW2 female uniforms.

Bugme, message sent.

Doyler, Thanks for the comment. It is nice all items displayed are named and to the area and yes things are a bit open but they only get a few poeple a weekend and more or less they are guided or watched while they are there. They also have cameras on all the time and a securitysystem for when they are closed.

Thanks, Mitch

Backtheattack

Great Work! It`s interesting to read the items came from inhabitants of the town. It seems history is not forgotten there.

Great Work! It`s interesting to read the items came from inhabitants of the town. It seems history is not forgotten there.

It's nice to see a town with a legacy, and then people who still care

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the compliments. The original 2 story building was an old lumber company and it was filled to the gills with items all donated from the community. They manage to raise enough money for a new building and put in an elevator and wheelchair ramps. The old building will eventually be used as the sheer amount of items will fill both buildings. The driving force to open the first building was a women in town who welded submarines locally in WW2 . There is a huge military background here. The primary settlers that stayed here were German. The town also claims to be the home of the Hamburger . Here is a link to the museum: http://www.seymourhistory.org/museum/

If you dig deep enough there are some scanned military pictures and some of the other exhibits.

Regards,Mitch

Backtheattack

Home of the Hamburger? Should visit the town and have a meal. There is such a great difference between museums like this one in the USA and one in Germany. The German town museums want to forgott the military history, and so they display seldom military items. No more place for them in such a "peace loving town and generation", yes, our lefts did a good work here. Here radical lefts destroys military memorials, so it`s interesting to see how other countries honors their veterans.

Home of the Hamburger? Should visit the town and have a meal. There is such a great difference between museums like this one in the USA and one in Germany. The German town museums want to forgott the military history, and so they display seldom military items. No more place for them in such a "peace loving town and generation", yes, our lefts did a good work here. Here radical lefts destroys military memorials, so it`s interesting to see how other countries honors their veterans.

Your welcome to come for a burger.They have a hamburger festival every year, but it would have to be a really good one to come that far. It is too bad that the radical poeple there would destroy military memorials. It is all history , no matter what side you were on.

Regards, Mitch

Backtheattack

Mitch, this is the american point of view, some germans had another, they talk about personal freedom - but what they talk is not what they mean, they mean personal freedom if your interest is the same than theirs. If it is not - you have less rights than others. When in the year is the festival?