Willie & Joe: The WWII Years

willysmb44

Today, I got my copy of the new Mauldin WW2 cartoon collection, edited by the same guy who just wrote that biography of Mauldin. It's a two-book box set (hardbound, no less). The second volume is the stuff Mauldin drew on the mainland after he got to the ETO, mostly stuff anyone has seen before. However, the first volume has stuff he did before the war and what I'm pretty sure is every cartoon he got into print before he went to the continent. I thought I'd seen it all, but just thumbing through both books, I see LOTs of cartoons I'd never even heard of before! Forget, "Bill Mauldin's Army," THIS is the set you want if you like Mauldin's WW2 work!

The cheapest place I've seen it is on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Willie-Joe-Years-Bil...d=2WHSO88P0TKH4

The best thing is Fantagraphics is planning a series of these, all the way to when Mauldin stopped drawing them in the 1990s!

• 3 months later...

I came across a copy of Bill Mauldin's "Up Front" in my at my father-in-law's mother's place when we were moving her out. It got misplaced somewhere along the way and I have no clue what happened to it. A real heart breaker! It was in very good condition too. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Find a copy of Bills book call catch the brass ring, this is the best book about Bill Mauldins life....
A year ago, I'd have agreed with you. However, this book recently came out and in my opinion it is THE book to have on Mauldin now: http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Mauldin-Life-Up...d_bxgy_b_text_b Still, Brass Ring is a very good book to have and an easy one to find.

• 7 months later...

"Up Front" one of my pride possessions, my mother gave it to me who got it from her uncle. :D

EDIT: Pictures are lost

Thisdamntreeleaks-BillMauldin.jpg
Many people are unaware of it, but there were two versions of this book. Both have the same content, but one is printed slightly larger than the other and on slightly different paper. I know for sure it ran on two different presses, and suspect there might have been a third...

post-551-1238982193.jpg

My copy of Up Front has the dust cover but in really bad shape. I got mine at an antique mall for $10. I keep it in my display case to protect it from more harm. Robert

I just found a first edition copy of "Up Front" yesterday at an antique store for $5.00. It does not have the dust cover but is in great shape otherwise....Kat

It got misplaced somewhere along the way and I have no clue what happened to it. A real heart breaker!

Don't fret. You can still find those old copies at a cheap price. Since it was a Pulitzer Prize book, I guess there were millions printed. I'm not sure which is a first edition. I may have an extra "Up Front" on my shelf that I could part with.

The booklet "This Damn Tree Leaks" can also be found but that book is falling apart. The cover is usually very dark, as seen in the above photos.

Steve

Fantagraphics, the company that put out the boxed set, has a retail store in Seattle. I stopped by there last weekend when I was in town for something else (I don't get up there very often). I asked how well these sets were selling, they said they're doing VERY well with them, it's one of their better "mainstream" items. I've asked the editor when they plan on making follow-on sets. They are in the works but no date set yet. I am pretty sure interest will drop off sharply with the postwar stuff as most people are interested in Mauldin for his WW2 work and not for the editorial cartoons he did later on.

• 1 month later...

The website, Military Issue, has this set on sale for $19.45. One heck of a deal!!! I recommend getting this. I already have it and payed double! Here is the website:

www.militaryissue.com/product_info.po?ID=10736&product=Books&category=air&subcategory=Non-Aviation

If this doesn't work, go to www.militaryissue.com

Thanks...Kat

• 3 weeks later...

Barnes & Noble has a big sale going on this weekend. This series is on sale for $16.00. For that price, everyone should get a copy. It is definitely worth more! ....Kat

I paid full retail for mine and consider it well worth the price even then (mind you, I got mine signed by the editor, though).

The website, Military Issue, has this set on sale for $19.45. One heck of a deal!!! I recommend getting this. I already have it and payed double! Here is the website:

www.militaryissue.com/product_info.po?ID=10736&product=Books&category=air&subcategory=Non-Aviation

If this doesn't work, go to www.militaryissue.com

Thanks...Kat

I had those books and miss them terribly. I reread them every year and laughted my butt off. Thank you for this heads up. I just bought it from these guys. I had checked e-bay as well and their best price was $29.99.

thanks guys for reminding me

Mel