Gertrude Moller's WAC Group

Teamski

Teamski,

What an awe inspiring group you have there. And very nicely displayed too. How luckey you are to have this unique chance to preserve someone's story!!!

Wow, fantastic grouping! They don't come much better and more complete than that.

I also have a small grouping from a WAC that spent time at Fort Oglethorpe.

Her name was Violet Krider, is this name mentioned anywhere in your documents or pictures?

You never know, they might have known each other.

Just curious, no big deal thumbsup.gif

Wow, fantastic grouping! They don't come much better and more complete than that.

I also have a small grouping from a WAC that spent time at Fort Oglethorpe.

Her name was Violet Krider, is this name mentioned anywhere in your documents or pictures?

You never know, they might have known each other.

Just curious, no big deal thumbsup.gif

Sorry for not responding to you sooner! I looked up Violet Krider in the Santa Ana yearbook, but no luck. You have to remember that Fort Oglethorpe was one of two bases that did basic training for the WACs during WWII. With over 150,000 WACs in WWII, the odds of having her mentioned is pretty small, sorry.

There is her entry in the AAD, however:

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER A-502769 A-502769

NAME KRIDER#VIOLET#M######### KRIDER#VIOLET#M#########

RESIDENCE: STATE 51 INDIANA

RESIDENCE: COUNTY 039 ELKHART

PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 5140 INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA

DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 28 28

DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 01 01

DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 43 43

GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION AUX# Undefined Code

GRADE: CODE 9 Aviation Cadet

BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION WAC Women's Army Corps

BRANCH: CODE 09 Inactive Reserve

FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #

TERM OF ENLISTMENT 5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

LONGEVITY ### ###

SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life

NATIVITY 51 INDIANA

YEAR OF BIRTH 15 15

RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen

EDUCATION 4 4 years of high school

CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 105 Clerks, general office

MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents

COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 9 Women's Army Corps

CARD NUMBER # #

I can't get into Ancestry.com right now, so I can't add to the above, unfortunately.....

-Ski

Thanks for your reply and checking the yearbook! The odds were indeed very slim but you never know.

150.000 WAC's :blink:, I guess Fort Oglethorpe was the place to be if you were a male in the 1940's

Thanks again,

Tino

No problem, I wish I could help you more.

Here are some shots of her dogtags, Good Conduct Medal, bracelets, Ring and a family heirloom: a Prussian Order of the Crown that has it's ribbon suspension removed and a pin added to the back. Both of her parents were straight from Germany.

-Ski

post-3043-1232750745.jpg

post-3043-1232750749.jpg

post-3043-1232750753.jpg

post-3043-1232750757.jpg

post-3043-1232750760.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ski,

This is simply amazing! I am so glad that this all went to you. I know you will preserve this collection as it should be done. Thanks for showing everything...Kat

fortworthgal

That is an amazing WAAC/WAC grouping! One of the best I have seen. Very cool that you were able to keep it all together.

Thanks! I never showed her childhood yearbooks from the late 20's or the photos. If you are interested, I could take a couple shots of those. I even have some of her report cards!

-Ski

• 5 years later...

With another Collector's Day coming up at the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover AFB, I will be displaying Gertrude Moller's grouping for the 10th year in a row. It was at this show back in 2004 that a friend of hers looked over my table and asked if I was interested in Gertrude's items. I mentioned that I never had any WAC groupings in my collection and that I knew next to nothing about WACs. We set up a time for the following Saturday to take a look. Gertrude died that Thursday, so I never had the opportunity to ask her the loads of questions I have for her. That said, she did a pretty good job of telling me her story through her "artifacts" as she kept everything from her childhood clippings of articles on aviation to photos from throughout her life. I am happy to be the caretaker of her story.

-Ski

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...