Last surviving Blacksheep Veteran - St. Louis Cardinals Ballcaps

67Rally

Though I am a dyed-in-the-wool, Dodgers fan, I can't help but love this news video piece regarding the St. Louis ballcaps made famous in one of the VMF-214 squadron photos.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ed Harper several years ago at a Blacksheep reunion. Sadly, he is the last living member of this famed group.

3921886496_f973acf89b_b.jpg

Leatherneck72

That's a cool story..thanks for posting it. Did you see the letter they showed from Pappy? It read "A Cap for a Japanese!"

Thanks for sharing that on so many different levels for me! Born and raised in St. Louis and my dad was acting chief of police in Lake St. Louis for awhile back in the 70s. I loved the TV series as a kid, and ended up serving nine years in the Corps myself. The last remaining member ... where does the time go?!

• 5 weeks later...

I forgot to add a link to the photo of the Blacksheep sporting their caps.

The men holding the bats are (at that time) the Aces of the squadron.

cropwm.jpg?img=-27-2776-GTMTD00Z&x=0&y=0

Corpsmancollector

Fantastic article! Thanks for posting the link…

There was an original St Louis ball cap from a squadron member in the exhibit ‘Fly Marines!’ (to commemorate the Marine Aviation centennial) at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum last year. I have a photograph of it somewhere…It had an EGA (Officers service type from memory) on the peak, facing the sky.

Great photo above and a great story!

Will