What type of flak helmet is this?

ken88

Hi,

I was searching for photographic evidence of M5 flak helmets in wear circa 1945 to promote my sale, no walk in the park apparently, until I came across this picture. The guy standing in front of the Great Artiste appears to be wearing an M5 but I'm not sure.

Is it an M5 or another experimental modified helmet? What do you guys think?

The plane itself was named the Great Artiste and flew with the Enola Gay to measure the impact of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima and also flew the Nagasaki mission to measure the effects of that bomb. So the time period is right, question remains is this an M5 or not?

Luis_Alvarez_-_Flak_Jacket.JPG

Then there's this one, safe to say the helmet on the floor is an M5?

What time period?

body_armor_flyers_jettison.jpg

Thanks!

Ken

doinworkinvans

They both appear to me to be true M5 flak helmets. Obviously the bottom picture is of an earlier date. But yes, both still M5's IMO

doinworkinvans

actually I cant tell if that one on the floor is an M3 or not....I dont see any ear pads so I guess it would be an M5

The guy standing appears to be wearing an M3. The M5 is a much more snug fit. The M1 shape of the one in the pic is quite evident IMHO.

The guy standing appears to be wearing an M3. The M5 is a much more snug fit. The M1 shape of the one in the pic is quite evident IMHO.

I agree, and when you look at the right flap in silhouette, it is definitely the rounded shape of an M3 flap not the long, semi-pointed shape of an M5 flap.

Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately it's hard to tell if the chin straps are attached to the outer side of the flaps or the inner side in the first picture, or we'd know straight away...

So it's safe to say the second pic has an M5 in it and is WWII era?

Any other pics with M5s in them?

Cheers