40 and 8 society pin

hink441

That is a neat pin. I have a few 40/8 items. That one looks to be specific to Pennsylvania and the 28th Division. A very nice find.

Thanks for the comment. I also believe it is 28th Div. related. Would like to see some of your 40/8 items. Please feel free to post them here if you like!!

Chris

• 3 months later...

It is an American Legion 40/8 pin from PA, which is an off shoot of the American Legion. They wore these to national conventions. The keystone is the states motto, so I am sorry to tell you that it is not related to the 28th division specifically, though, some veterans of the 28th division most likely would have worn these to american legion conventions.

I have had different versions of these attached to medals, just as fobs, pins, without enamel, etc...

Most of these surfaced around the 1927 national convention that was held in Paris, France. I have seen them in groupings until the late 40s with this enamel style.

I am the biggest collector of American Legion items on ebay since 2004. I am coming out with some memorabilia books for teh 100th year of the American Legion in 2018/`19. Founded in 1919, but inititated in small rooms in 1918.

Here is my national convention collection

A very nice collection of American Legion national convention badges Steve. You have the beginnings of a very nice website. Thanks for sharing!

I am the biggest collector of American Legion items on ebay since 2004. I am coming out with some memorabilia books for teh 100th year of the American Legion in 2018/`19. Founded in 1919, but inititated in small rooms in 1918.

Here is my national convention collection

I don't mean to hijack this post, but I wanted to see if you knew how the American Legion decides whether or not their reunion badges will, or will not, have a ribbon for any particular year?

Kevin

• 2 years later...

Very nice stuff. Thanks for posting. My Dad was in the 40&8 for many years. I remember they had some weird initiation ceremony he had gone through.He had the patch Tonomachi posted.

Regards, Mitch

• 1 year later...