ww2 airborne M1C chaplain helmet!

shifty5580

Like 20 to 25 years ago I saw an identical helmet to these at John Coy's Stuka Military Museum in Oregon, Illinois - When I asked him about it he said the 4 horses (there were only 4 on his, none on the top) he stated he was told it represented the four horseman of the apocolypse - may have just been a story but I can at least confirm that there was another one of these out there and I remember it being a swivel-bail without the metal clips.

Airborne, unique camo pattern and a Chaplain no less... only problem I see with it, is that it's not in my collection. :)

Thank's for your answers and your interest!

Very happy to know the truth about this helmet

Yes I see too a XVIII airborne corps patch

I suppose it's an unique helmet with this camo and more a Chaplain helmet :) He is in one of my showcase now!

Bertrand

Glad to hear Bob has seen another one, yes it is for sure an XVIII patch, can be seen very clearly on the original photograph, theres what looks like an officer and another guy in the background shadows, cant make out much other details, maybe i will try to make a better photo or scan of the original pic.....i saved the old ebay photos of Bertrands chaplain helmet too, i think it was at least 3-4 years ago i remember seeing it....this is a great thread with these two helmets!, im hoping others might have info or a clue on the unit.....Bertrand, are there any marking inside the steel helmet like a name or anything like that, might even be painted over, lots of airborne units marked their helmets with their names and service numbers, mine doesnt have any names or other clues.......mike

Hello Mike,

unfortunatly there is no name or marking into the helmet

Only two letters : SI

Don'y know what is the signification

Bertrand

• 7 months later...

Maybe try starting a new thread in the "Individual and Unit research" forum?

Might get more hits that way.

-Brian

• 5 years later...

as a kid in the 60s, i remember hearing about a Black Horse Brigade, I never researched it, I do not know if this would help any of you searching about the horse on helmet.