ww2 airborne M1C chaplain helmet!

shifty5580

Hi, one of my new discovery,

This is a M1C chaplain helmet with a strange painting. It coming from a belgium veteran army who was in fort Bragg in the 80's

There are 4 horses painted, Number of the hemlet 1129O, original chinstraps. Maybe a Vietnam camouflage?

Thank for your answer

p1100618.jpg
p1100619.jpg
p1100620.jpg
p1100621.jpg
p1100622.jpg
p1100623.jpg
p1100624.jpg

Bertrand

I have one just like it and a period photo of one in use, i will post photos later when i get home from work! I remember when this one or one similar was sold on abay and wondered where it went!......mike

USMC-RECON0321

Mike,

I was remembering seeing another one of these posted before (without the chaplain connection), so I'm looking forward to seeing yours posted along with this one. Great helmets. I can't remember what the history or story behind these markings is? Could you please also post the link to your original thread to link these two threads together.

Shifty, Great helmet!!!

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

Bertrand

Oh, and welcome to the forum, I didn't realize today is your first day with us!!

You should introduce yourself in the new Member forum.

I also notice your helmet has the 10 row chinstraps, others will chime in on this I'm guessing, but I have seen many M1C's with the 10 row weave straps.

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

He already did so Troy! ;)

Yes, I missed that. I checked his topics and it didn't show up. I did enjoy seeing the other helmets posted though!! Look forward to seeing more of your collection.

Troy

Heres a few photos of my horse camo......same colors used and same horse stencil but my horse is facing the opposite direction, probably the stencil got flipped while painting numerous helmets....mine also has the word Airborne scratched in the side along with 21 hash marks that im assuming are jump counts and also has a jump wing scratched on the side....it has metal clip on para straps and WWII rigger para liner....the dealer that i acquired this from had a piece of paper with vet info and mention of a Black Stalion Special Forces but the paper was misplaced and lost before it was sent to me so not sure if the Black Stallion name is official or lost in translation or his memory...i have tried to research this camo and have come up empty handed as of finding the particular unit that painted their helmets this way but here is the amazing part....i found on ebay an original period photograph of a paratrooper wearing one of these horse camo jump helmets!...actually i was contemplating whether or not to buy the helmet and stumbled on the photo and bought them both immediately, this was a year or two ago and i always remembered seeing the chaplain horse camo on ebay a few years back and i missed out on it, its nice to know its in a safe place and i can see it again!.....so the picture of the horse camo paratrooper i have is unmarked but you can clearly see the spec rating which came out after 1955? and he is also wearing a XVIII airborne patch that should be a clue in finding the unit....im guessing this camo was used 1955-1960 but thats just my guess going by the photo, i would love to find out more info and it sure is nice seeing another one here!....mike

post-350-0-28257700-1381966958.jpg

Great!!!!

Very intersting to know more about my helmet, I presumed it was paint post ww2 by a children, or civilian!

Very happy to know it is not the case!

Someone know more about this black stallion special force? I try some research but nothing found...

Thank you so much Mike!!!

Bertrand

Im glad to see another one also!...im not positive black stallion special forces is their actual unit name....ive been searching cavalry airborne units, recon airborne and things like that, maybe they were a test platoon or company for the first air cav units, just theories of course, i would really like to find out for sure.....mike