Display help!

uberguido

Hey All, Any of you edged weapons guys know where I can get a descent wall hanging display case that would fit a M9 bayo and a Russian AK bayo? ive been looking around at the major sites and am not really having luck finding one that can fit both in a nice display on the wall, figured you guys would be good to ask. im still working on some of my AFG displays. Thanks for the help guys.

mattsmilitary

I looked for cases to display different field gear items and everything I found was so expensive and over priced that it just made so much sense to make some cases or what I do a lot is re-purpose old cabinets, end tables, anything I can find at tag sales to start with and build onto it. Also those unfinished wood places have some good starting points; I had a friend make a fishing pole rack out of pieces he bought at one of those stores and it came out awesome.

For making display cabinets; you can use oak to make the frame so you can stain or paint it whatever color you want, simple nothing crazy and then use lexon or lexan (I think that's what it is called) for the glass part. Lexon doesn't shatter or break and is very strong and you can bend it. You can buy it at glass places. Not the cheapest but the best. Ill see if I can get a picture tomorrow. He made a floor case but I know you would make a wall case very easy.

Hope this helps some.

Matt

Two choices, 1. you could, make your own wooden frame, and find someone who cuts glass, (find them first ^_^ ) to the size you need, or find a local picture framing shop, and give them the size you need

thanks for the help! you both have good ideas, I never really thought of repurposing a window frame or old furniture to fit this. I can find one blade displays made and it is super expensive, but then I have to get another one to fit the other blade, even more expensive. so I guess I have to go ahead and get creative on this. now I have to go ahead and find skill, in order to build this haha

thanks for the help! you both have good ideas, I never really thought of repurposing a window frame or old furniture to fit this. I can find one blade displays made and it is super expensive, but then I have to get another one to fit the other blade, even more expensive. so I guess I have to go ahead and get creative on this. now I have to go ahead and find skill, in order to build this haha

Hi uberguido. One of the ways I get around it, to get a ready made frame, is from charity shops, they are every where over here, I see a frame I can use, which is usually your normal picture, using the front frame only, I then make a box frame, say out of 1/4 or 1/2 wood, depth, it all depends on how deep you want it, as to the depth of your knifes, cut the corners with a mitre saw, fitting the four corners together, and gluing, clamping them is the best, until the glue has set, then glue to the back of the frame. Then a stiff card for the rear, which can be covered in the colour cloth you like, and glued or stapled to the stiff card, be care full using the glue though, it will come through the cloth, so if you are gluing, pull the cloth tight, with a overlap at the back, and glue there, then attaching the knifes to it, one way is to have strong cotton with a needle, mark where you want them to be, push the needle through from the back of the stiff card, and cloth, where you want it to be held, (this is at one point), say at the rear of the knife, keep doing this until it his held tight, then do the same at the front, say on the blade, or check out your shops that sells brackets that could be used, take your time, you will get there, all the best Welshman

Added

Hardboard could be a stronger backing, then you would have to use a pointed tool to make the holes first.

ok now were on to something, I might have to pretend I have skill with tips like that. im printing it in the hopes that I can do this right, and I am sure after a few mistakes, ill have something I can post to show my progress, I do appreciate everyones help on this one.

I use relatively inexpensive store bought shadow boxes, and I mount my knives with pins or small gage/ small head nails. post-106423-0-75224200-1381973764.jpg

post-106423-0-55710500-1381974037.jpg

I use relatively inexpensive store bought shadow boxes, and I mount my knives with pins or small gage/ small head nails. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

they look like boxes you can get at michaels and things like that, obviously theyre sturdy enough to hold?

I might try making something specific, but if that's an epic failure which I am sure it might be I will have to consider this. thanks for your help!

I use a sturdy pegboard (tempered is available), cover it with fabric, mount it in a purpose-built frame (but you could use a picture frame) and attach the knives with plastic covered florist wire.

If you use a pre-made picture frame, you can mount the pegboard to the wall using 1x2s and just hang the picture frame over it to provide a finished look. That way the picture frame does not have to support any weight.

I don't use a plastic or glass covering because of the glare. Plus, I like to be able to fondle them periodically 8>)

The pic shows a free-standing display made with pegboard.

Jim

post-60452-0-29659000-1381989311.jpg

that's a sharp looking display right there. I don't need anything quite that big, but I am sure it can get scaled down to fit my needs. again, sharp display.

Here's a display case that is wall mountable on ebay. I can't find the ebay number, but here is the description.

12X18X2 WALL MOUNTED LOCKING DISPLAY CASE

It might work as a link.

Marv

ok that's not a bad price at all for that, some of these shadow boxes ive been seeing are well in the couple hundred range, that one could work too for sure.