USAAF Display : L-5 Sentinel Liaison Pilot, Normandy, June 1944

Blue Leader

Here a still life showing the flight clothing of a S/Sgt. pilot of a Stinson L-5 Sentinel from the 14th Laison Squadron operating in Normandy in the summer 1944 : canvas flight suit AN-S-31A, NCO 50 mission cap manufactured in officer gabardine, holster M-3 with his Colt .45, binoculars M-3 in case and pistol belt M-1936 with Colt .45 magazine pouch and pocket dressing.

dsc_0415.jpg

14th_liaison_005_raf_cranage.jpg

http://rafcranage.org.uk/RAF_Cranage/U.S.A.A.F._No.14_Liaison_Sqn..html

Mathieu

doinworkinvans

What is the difference in the badges on front of the caps? There is a small round one (as above) and then the bigger ones that are more ornate...I should prob put a picture, but I am pretty sure you guys know what I am talking about...

Here a still life showing the flight clothing of a S/Sgt. pilot of a Stinson L-5 Sentinel from the 14th Laison Squadron operating in Normandy in the summer 1944 : canvas flight suit AN-S-31A, NCO 50 mission cap manufactured in officer gabardine, holster M-3 with his Colt .45, binoculars M-3 in case and pistol belt M-1936 with Colt .45 magazine pouch and pocket dressing.

dsc_0415.jpg

14th_liaison_005_raf_cranage.jpg

http://rafcranage.org.uk/RAF_Cranage/U.S.A.A.F._No.14_Liaison_Sqn..html

Mathieu

Very nice.

I would add HS-23 or HS-33 head set plus microphone or throat microphone (of T-30 family for instance).

Regards

Gregory

• 1 month later...

Nice, but a few small corrections are in order. The 14th Liaison Squadron was assigned to 3rd Army and did not arrive in Normandy until July 6, 1944, so they cannot be directly associated with the D-Day invasion, only events afterward. The first pilot in the squadron to fly 50 combat missions did not reach that milestone until August. Binoculars were never issued to pilots in liaison squadrons (neither officers or EM). Any pilot who had a pair would have purchased then in-theater. Only liaison pilots attached to artillery battalions were issued binoculars, and even then not as personal equipment. Also, regarding the poster who suggested making a squadron patch for you, according to the recollections of two 14th pilots who are still living and known to me personally, no patches were issued, made or otherwise worn by the 14th pilots.