Navy PASGT

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

Got this one of ebay for the below average price of a PASGT. I have never seen a Navy PASGT before and this is a pretty cool one. It's in good condition missing the chinstrap but I could get one if I wanted. There is XO stenciled on the back which is nice. The helmet is a 86 dated M-7 Unicor.post-104619-0-07680000-1381893222.jpg

Does anyone have any photos of PASGT's being worn by sailors?

I'd have to dig through my old cruisebooks...I am sure there's a photo or two from GQ when we wore these aboard my 2nd ship. I know that we had a mix (of M1s and PASGTs) by 1988 aboard my first ship.

This is a screenshot from a video shot aboard my ship in 1988, Note the OOD (on the right) is wearing a green M1 while the gunner's mate has an OD PASGT on:

post-9529-0-42274700-1381940455.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

I'd have to dig through my old cruisebooks...I am sure there's a photo or two from GQ when we wore these aboard my 2nd ship. I know that we had a mix (of M1s and PASGTs) by 1988 aboard my first ship.

This is a screenshot from a video shot aboard my ship in 1988, Note the OOD (on the right) is wearing a green M1 while the gunner's mate has an OD PASGT on:

attachicon.gifVinny Helmets 1988.jpg

Thanks for posting I like the mix of helmets. Did the PASGT's ever get painted since the was no rust issue like on M1's?

Thanks for posting I like the mix of helmets. Did the PASGT's ever get painted since the was no rust issue like on M1's?

IIRC, only those used in the repair lockers were painted (at least during my time aboard this ship). On my next ship, the M1s were being replaced (I remember taking a stack of them out of the rack in the passageway (outside of CIC) and walking over to the bridge wing and chucking them (while underway, of course). I don't recall if the PASGTs that replaced them were painted....but the M1s ranged in white, red and haze gray (depending upon function).

The ship my son is on still uses them. When I toured the ship they were all stacked in pile like you just grabbed one on the way out.

The ship my son is on still uses them. When I toured the ship they were all stacked in pile like you just grabbed one on the way out.

PASGTs? I would think so. The surface Navy really doesn't have a need to be current with combat helmets.

SergeantMajorGray

PASGTs? I would think so. The surface Navy really doesn't have a need to be current with combat helmets.

Well they still do there is the MK7 general use helmet I guess on new ships get them though.

Here is a 2007 dated Navy photo of a grey painted PASGT with an ACH type chinstrap added.

I have seen a very wide range of helmet types currently in use on Navy surface vessels including the Mk4, Mk7, PASGT, ACH, LWH and a few RBR manufactured helmets. Most any type in use can be found and generally still in the original produced colors.

post-98601-0-64410900-1382098154.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

Here is a 2007 dated Navy photo of a grey painted PASGT with an ACH type chinstrap added.

I have seen a very wide range of helmet types currently in use on Navy surface vessels including the Mk4, Mk7, PASGT, ACH, LWH and a few RBR manufactured helmets. Most any type in use can be found and generally still in the original produced colors.

Thanks for the pic looks identical to mine apart from the liner upgrade.

My son just happens to out at sea right now. I texted him the photo posted by the OP and asked if they used helmets like this and he said yes. I did not ask him about colors and won't have contact with him again for 10 days. Again, when I toured his ship I remember a stack of helmets just like the one the OP posted. As to colors I just don't remember. This was in 2011 when I toured the ship he is on.

We were getting these as I was retiring. Replacing the M-1s (yep, tossed them over the side). We painted them gray just because it had become tradition, and the markings we applied (sigs, cic, QM) just showed up better on gray than that nasty Army green.