My Flight on a B-17

Waltz41

So around the end of August, I was talking to my wife's uncle, who has a pretty high interest in WWII. I mentioned to him that the Collings Foundation was bringing some planes to some of the local airports during the next week and a half. The very next day, I get a call from him and he just says "Me....You....B-17 tomorrow!" I was blown away. It was his 50th birthday present to himself and decided to take me along (over his 3 sons no less) because he said it would be much more fun with someone else and he knows how much I would enjoy it. Money isn't really an issue for him, but regardless that was a $400+ gift he was giving me! Anyways, what a flight, something I will not soon forget. I finally put some footage I shot together, thought I would share it here. My wife actually did some filming on the ground, which was really cool of her. Enjoy!

doinworkinvans

I wanted to do this - but like you said, $400!!!! Thank you for sharing so at least I can see what it would've been like!!! Awesome!

Great video! Looks like it would alot of fun. If your wife's uncle is looking to adopt a nephew-I'm available. Thanks for sharing

Fantastic! I got to fly on the Aluminum Overcast a few years ago. I took some photos but sure wish I would have done the video too. I love the shots from the radio operators position. You are right, you will not soon forget it.

Thanks again!

That was great! I'm glad they let you cruise around the plane to check out some of the views from the various positions. Thanks a lot for posting.

So glad you had the chance to do this.

I know it meant a lot to you.

Where was this out of ? Reading ?

Thanks for posting it.

Nice footage. Both you and your wife have a very steady hand with the camera, and these clips turned out very well.

Those planes are a lot smaller on the inside than the movies would make you think.

Great bird! Great gift! Great video! I treasure my 20 minutes in the "Texas Raider" about 20 years ago.

Thanks for the memory! Bobgee

Very cool! Congrats! I was fortunate enough to get up in aluminum overcast about 7 years ago. Like you said, something you will never forget!

Very cool you have the video of your experience!

JD

I've actually been aboard the "Sally B" ....but only on the deck. I would have loved to have gone aloft in her! I envy you that flight. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Took my son to see the "Memphis Belle" over the weekend. Not enough money to take a flight, but I got a rush just watching it land and take off. Will take a ride on one someday...

So glad you had the chance to do this.

I know it meant a lot to you.

Where was this out of ? Reading ?

Thanks for posting it.

Out of Trenton Mercer County Airport.....right off of take off we go over I-95. Flight basically went up the river, then back down.

Thanks guys, yes I was very lucky to get to go, esp not on my own dime!! Probably one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. It was something I would eventually do I am sure, but it came early and free. But it was also fun to get to share the experience with someone!