Any info on the YMS-177 minesweeper (ww2)

avigo

I have a ww2 dated leather mail bag that is ID'd to the minesweeper YMS-177. It is one of my favorite pieces I just have never been able to find much information at all on this ship.

If anyone has any information or knows of anyone who served on the ship during the war it would mean a lot.

Thank you!

She took part in minesweeping operations in Tokyo Bay according to the Navy War Diaries at fold3.com

Earlier she operated in the Gulf of Mexico in 1943 and the first half of 1944. They then went to the western Pacific: in Sept. 1944 she did minesweeping for the invasion of Peleliu. It appears she operated out of the Caroline Islands for the rest of the war but I can't find her in any other campaigns, so far.

She took part in minesweeping operations in Tokyo Bay according to the Navy War Diaries at fold3.com

Earlier she operated in the Gulf of Mexico in 1943 and the first half of 1944. They then went to the western Pacific: in Sept. 1944 she did minesweeping for the invasion of Peleliu. It appears she operated out of the Caroline Islands for the rest of the war but I can't find her in any other campaigns, so far.

Thanks!

I knew about Tokyo Bay but I hadn't seen the other information. I really appreciate it.

• 6 years later...
On 10/14/2013 at 11:41 PM, avigo said:

I have a ww2 dated leather mail bag that is ID'd to the minesweeper YMS-177. It is one of my favorite pieces I just have never been able to find much information at all on this ship.

If anyone has any information or knows of anyone who served on the ship during the war it would mean a lot.

Thank you!

My father was an officer on the minesweeper YMS 177 during World War II.  His name was Lt. Robert M. Schmitt.  Another officer on that ship was Lt. Henry (Hank) Seamon.  At some point Lt. Seamon was promoted and became commander of YMS 177.

13 minutes ago, Chris Schmitt said:

My father was an officer on the minesweeper YMS 177 during World War II.  His name was Lt. Robert M. Schmitt.  Another officer on that ship was Lt. Henry (Hank) Seamon.  At some point Lt. Seamon was promoted and became commander of YMS 177.

Thank you so much for sharing that! It has been a while, but I will try to find this bag and send you some photos. It's great to hear from a family member of someone who served on this ship.